Artex query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Artex under the stairs has a fibre sticking out of it, am pretty sure you cannot see asbestos fibres in Artex, hence why its got to be sampled. I am baffled a bit here though, it was applied in 1995, could it be asbestos possibly?
Hopefully somebody can shine some light?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
To quote the HSE website, "Asbestos can be found in any industrial or residential building built or refurbished before the year 2000." We were using AIB (asbestos insulting board), legally, right up until 1999. The Asbestos Information Centre web site states, "If you come across a textured coating in your property, and know that it was installed pre-2000, then best practice is to assume that it may contain asbestos". If you are concerned then get it tested, but as long as you don't disturb it the risk is minimal

The most dangerous forms of asbestos – brown (amosite) and blue (crocidolite) – were banned from use by the 1985 UK Asbestos (Prohibition) Regulations. White asbestos (chrysotile) continued to be used in building materials, such as AIB (asbestos insulating board), textured surface coatings (e.g. Artex), boiler pipe lagging, sprayed loft insulation, cement roofing and building cladding panels until 1999, albeit in ever reducing quantities. You may or may not be able to see fibres, depending on the product.

If you want to gen yourself up on asbestos, do the UKATA Asbestos Awareness Certificate on-line (required on most large refurbs these days)

Sponsored Links
Is it possible for some buildings built in the 1990's to be asbestos free?. There is certainly some buildings which i know of built in the 90's which i would find hard to believe if they contain asbestos

Is it possible for some buildings built in the 1990's to be asbestos free?. There is certainly some buildings which i know of built in the 90's which i would find hard to believe if they contain asbestos
A lot of the work I do is in commercial properties, but we do some domestic (HATs, housing associations, etc). The standard advice we get (and give to our subs) is always to assume that if the building is pre-2000 build there may be some asbestos present somewhere and that an asbestos survey must be done before we start any major works. This is the norm across the construction industry. Fortunately for us as time goes on more and more buildings we work on already have a survey. Problem is - they aren't always accurate.

On another note, I know a building which was built in 2007, and contained Asbestos gaskets. I am thinking how the hell could that happen?
It just shouldn't have happened. Someone maybe unaware or the regs (or ignoring them) and using up old stock?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back