Artex stipple - stipple pad or roller to get this effect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got to patch up a ceiling that has a very watered down stipple effect as per photo.

photo0021uu7.jpg

Do you think this was achieved with a stipple pad or roller? If a roller what sort?

Also what is the best was to remove matt painted artex? Steamer or wallpaper paste and cling film? I only need to remove and repair less than 1m2.

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Thats a watery mix of artex, done with a stippler.
To match the same consistancy, dip your finger and thumb in the mix close then open, the peak is roughly what you will get.

You could scrape of the high spots, apply artex sealer then go over.

Artex is old hat now, your better of sealing and skimming.

Cheers for the reply.

I've just attempted to use a stipple pad but it gives too much stipple even when very watered down it just seems too thick. I think it'll need even more water but I can't seem to get a sparce drip pattern with the pad. Thats why I think it may have been a roller of sorts?

I really want to patch as is, other wise 40m2 will need skimming and 1 of the rooms has been freshly decorated...

Sponsored Links
That effect was done with the old Artex liquid that came in a bucket like texture paint. You won't match it with the dry stuff.

That effect was done with the old Artex liquid that came in a bucket like texture paint. You won't match it with the dry stuff.

Doh, so can you still get that? I think you can get ready mixed but I assume this won't be the same?

What sort of roller would it have been applied with?

Thanks

I've not seen it for years. It was done with a sort of brush with springy rubber bristles (really quite floppy), and you just sort of turned it.

Thanks for the info, I'll have another go and see what happens. The stipple pad has rubber bristles but it doesn't give the same effect. I may end up just reartexing the whole ceiling.

I've not seen it for years. It was done with a sort of brush with springy rubber bristles (really quite floppy), and you just sort of turned it.

That's the stipple brush costwold was on about .If you can imagine a hawk with soft rubber spikes sticking out of it . I have an 18" one somewhere that must be at least 35 years old, you worked it off the floor with a long handle and gave it a thump and a twist as you say.

We never came across any Artex in tubs, it was always in bags. At one stage you had to mix it with warm water.

To the OP - you'll find it hard to match any kind of artex in a patch. Try it a couple of times and just live with it !

I thought I'd update this.

In the end I couldn't get anywhere near the same finish.

What I did looked nasty.

So I have 2 coat skimmed the ceiling. 1st time ever i've done it and it looks loads better. Can't say its perfect but far better than what was there before.

Thanks for the advice

Well done - to be honest even the same guy that did if first would struggle to match it properly.

Flat skim is the vogue now anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back