artex Vs plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so what's the difference between artex/plaster and why are so many people against artex?

i'm in the process of plastering a room - one wall has been artexed in the past so i'm either going to plaster over it or artexing over it - anyone see any problems with that?

just intrested in peoples views :idea:

[admin: feel free to move this post if its got a more suitable home]

Sponsored Links
Artex is not a substitute for plaster. It's a thick paint which can be textured into your choice of pattern before it dries. I see nothing wrong with artex except that you'll be looking at it for a very long time. Be sure it's really what you want because it's not easy to remove.

One possible reason for it's bad reputation is that it can be used to hide poor plaster - and often is. This is completely unfair. The fault lies not with the artex but with the person who applied it.

with artex youve got one choice when decorating and thats painting and artex gathers dust more than a flat wall.

ta for the info.

is there any reason not to plaster over it?

the stuff that's currently on the wall is flaking off and is a right sight + i think it's old style artex (there's something wrong with old artex but i canna remember what it is? lead? asbestos?).

cheers

Sponsored Links
asbestos pre 79 i think, can be skimmed over but remove loose bits, if its asbestos its not advisable. Do a search on asbestos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back