Plastering over artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are decorating one of our rooms and have just called a plasterer for a quote, the ceiling is artexed and we would like it skimming over.
The plasterer said he will come and have a look but they would normally board over rather than go over the artex as it is not recommended.
Does this sound right or is he trying to bump the price up,we are on a budget having just moved in so we haven't got money to waste

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
tell us what he quotes£££ and where you are in UK ;)

i have known artexers to go over a lined ceiling, so yes it would be a wise move to overboard and skim. plasterboard is a very predictable substrate.

Sponsored Links
Well he hs just been round and he has quoted £275 just to do the walls and another £80 to do the ceiling without overboarding(he explained about the risks in not having it done but we are strapped for cash at the mo)

Does that sound a fair quote for a room 4m long x 3.5m wide and 2.7m high?

Thanks for the help, I've never hired a plasterer so just wanted to be sure

That not a bad price at all really.The price he's charging you for the ceiling is dirt cheap.

jason_s is right, £80 for the ceiling is dirt cheap i have done plenty of ceilings and it's damn hard work :evil: compared to walls :D

I agree...........and he explained the pros+cons of reboarding or skimming the Artex...........if the finish turns out good , then recommend him ;)

My entire hall and landing and vestibule walls and ceiling are covered in swirly artex - I worked it out to be approx 90 square metres of surface (large victorian terrace) absolutley hideous. Lived with it for 7 years. Decorated every room except this one. Got quote through last week - PVA whole lot, skim with Carlite, then top skim of finishing plaster. 4 day job - £860. Nearly fell off my chair. I was expecting around £15 square metre. Having it done late November.

Hi JP74- very interesting. I have a room that is awful- 5mx4m, all Artexed, plus ceiling too. I am thinking of getting it plasterboarded, insulation behind (thinking about insulation as there is an outside wall), then plastering over the top. I want to move the kitchen into this room- but obviously the wall cupboards will be heavy. I assume I need to advise the kitchen fitters about the plasterboarding and the depth of the cavity so they can adjust the fitting- any comments or advice please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back