Artificial turf / grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’m currently building a front garden wall and when finished I want to lay artificial
Turf down … I intend to compact type 1 then a membrane and sand on top… what I don’t know is how to obtain the height I need… I need to raise the garden by around 15 cm … am I better more type 1 then sand or more sand then type 1 to get my required hight?tia
Many thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
I would say sharp sand for up to 50mm depth only. Everything else made up in type 1

Thanks mr diy I really appreciate the reply
Best wishes
Jake

And don't buy the cheap grass or it'll end up looking like a greengrocers shelf.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mottie … I know what you mean I’ve sen some really awful gardens with the grass you mentioned :) . Don’t suppose you have a recommendation?
I was thinking between 30-40 pile height, I’ve already got some underlay for the grass
Thanks
Jake

Thanks mottie … I know what you mean I’ve sen some really awful gardens with the grass you mentioned :) . Don’t suppose you have a recommendation?
I was thinking between 30-40 pile height, I’ve already got some underlay for the grass
Thanks
Jake

There's this marvellous stuff that comes out of the ground. It is great.

When you say you need to raise it, have you checked the position of any damp proof courses and air bricks that it might but up against? Also watch out for any flooding as it's a bit like paving your whole garden. Maybe leave a bit with soil or gravel as a kind of soak away?

No, sorry. All I know is that the MIL had the cheap stuff and it 'crackles' when you walk on it plus when she had a tree surgeon round to trim some trees, his ladder left dents in it that have never sprung back.

There's this marvellous stuff that comes out of the ground. It is great.

He has a point. Too much fake grass is being used and it's little more than a blot on the landscape.
There's plenty of cost-effective ways to make a shady garden green without having to resort to plastic, especially since you've gone to the trouble of building a stone wall: putting plastic up against it cheapens the work you've already done.
Here's more ideas to try: Shade gardens – 15 ideas and design tips for a beautiful outdoor space year-round | Real Homes
You could also have a look at the way small gardens are created in Japan, really creative ways of making the most of your space.

Hi
Thanks for all
Replies , we have real turf in the back garden which I’m so happy with, unfortunately having it in the front isn’t a option as we are mid terraced and the only
Way to get a lawn lawyer to the front would be to bring it through the house which seems more trouble then it’s worth lol the other issue I have is that the front garden is part concreted so I don’t think I’d even have the depth for soil
For new turf but could be wrong

I do really appreciate everyone help, input and opinions
Thanks
Jake

A lawn lawyer, you say, do they have a cut-rate policy?;)
Perhaps a rock garden could work in a small space; how big is the area?
A rock garden would also raise the profile of your garden, be easy to maintain with a bare minimum of plants which can tolerate shade and damp conditions. Or place a range of pots between the rocks for a layered look.

Hey odds that’s a good idea re rock garden I’ll look into it :) thanks … doesn’t everyone have a lawn lawyer lol ( mower )

john thinks for the thoughts … the garden slips towards the house then levels off before the house where I will be installing some acos… this area is 15cm below doc or at
Least will be … where it needs to
Be raised is the other side we’re our garden meets the pavement where my wall I’m
Building is … our garden is a whopping 15cm below the pavement and parts of the path to the house.

the post lady has fallen off it twice
Lol
Thanks
Jake

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back