Asbestos Cement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, a chimney in my old house had been blocked up, after removing the facia board there was a load of rubble bound with this cement, it looks aerated and is really light, it was poured into chimney from above by the looks of it, its all loose and falling about, I was worried that it may contain asbestos, so I've sealed it all back up and I've had a look at the cement under a microscope but can't see any fibres? any idea what it might be before i start panicking? Any advice welcome.
IMG_1470 2.JPG
IMG_1469.JPG

Sponsored Links
no reason to suppose it. If it is fairly thin, it might have been a mortar-like lining to the flue. Also, it used to be possible to reline old flues by putting a sausage-like balloon down from the chimney, then pouring a lightweight concrete mix round it from above.

I have only come across asbestos-cement in factory made items, such as pipe and boards, where it is in thin sections, pressed to shape and has a smooth surface on one side. It's grey and very hard.

Thanks JohnD and AJ, Appreciate the advice, I've not seen asbestos fibres before, so I wouldn't know what to expect, it certainly reacts as lime, fizzes in vinegar

Sponsored Links
Back