Dimplex storage heater, asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0844.JPG
Hi all I'd like to ask for some help, I recently attended a asbestos awareness course and was told storage heaters may contain asbestos. I have checked the storage heater for a serial code or any logo and all I have found is that it's a dimplex storage heater. The picture hopefully helps. I'm being charged £170 to remove it Saturday. I've lived in the house for 5 years and it's slightly worrying that it may contain asbestos as it is still working and used

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much, would you suggest cancelling the removal?

Sponsored Links
Definitely cancel it. As it will only take about 15 minutes to dismantle the heater, I'd say that you're being charged way over the odds for a simple removal job.

So are you getting rid of it because it might contain asbestos.

Yes just as a precaution, I've also cancelled the removal. I thought it was abit steep £170 when the bloke said. I wouldn't even get a certificate with that either

You could always find a use for the concrete blocks inside the heater, ideal to stand a shed on in the garden

ideal to stand a shed on in the garden

Fraid not Boss, they're made from vermiculite, not concrete, and they disintegrate when they get wet. But they're great to use in home made pizza ovens.

The bricks inside are made from magnetite, and do not disintegrate when wet either.

Vermiculite is an lightweight material often used for insulation.

Hi, I renovated our house a few years ago. Not realising storage heaters may contain asbestos, I dismantled them without wearing a mask. I am pretty sure they were dimplex. The house is a 1930's ex council house. There are small electric dimplex heaters upstairs which may have been fitted at the same time, which would suggest they are all post 70's. I believe this is a good sign for them having been asbestos free? If anyone can tell there age from the photos I would be really grateful, unfortunately these are all I have. Thanks

Attachments

• 20170526_141324.jpg
    20170526_141324.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 281
  • 20170526_141453.jpg
    20170526_141453.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 20170622_111209.jpg
    20170622_111209.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 452
  • 20170622_111218.jpg
    20170622_111218.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 282
Fraid not Boss, they're made from vermiculite, not concrete, and they disintegrate when they get wet. But they're great to use in home made pizza ovens.
The insulation might be but the blocks certainly are not - they're to Heavy to to Vermiculite.

Hi, I renovated our house a few years ago. Not realising storage heaters may contain asbestos, I dismantled them without wearing a mask. I am pretty sure they were dimplex. The house is a 1930's ex council house. There are small electric dimplex heaters upstairs which may have been fitted at the same time, which would suggest they are all post 70's. I believe this is a good sign for them having been asbestos free? If anyone can tell there age from the photos I would be really grateful, unfortunately these are all I have. Thanks

These NSH's are much later than when Asbestos was used in the NSH's so you will be quite safe.

Thanks for your reply. Can I check what do you mean by nsh's? Yes it was the insulation that concerned me, not the blocks. I didn't tear apart the insulation or anything, but just wanted peace of mind it wasn't asbestos. Thanks

Oh I see, thanks. Out of interest how can you tell from my photos?

Sponsored Links
Back