Asbestos in storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

Having used this site to identify some old storage heaters in a house we are buying as Dimplex XT models, that don't contain asbestos (also confirmed by the asbestos contractors website), I opened one up to dismantle before taking it all to the tip.

Got a mild shock when I saw the insulation inside. One type white and fluffy like fibreglass and one harder.

If these aren't asbestos, does anyone know what they are?

Cheers,

Al
tmp-cam-904635381.jpg
tmp-cam-1068677467.jpg

Sponsored Links
Possibly Ceramic Fibre. Used in boiler insulation to replace asbestos, mind you it is so similar in appearance and make up, being a silicate that I don't trust it myself.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck.............;)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As you've alread opened it up, and damage from breathing it in will already have been done, so maybe wet it with a spray bottle, and carry on removing it carfeully.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck.............;)

Then it's very likely made from reconsituted chicken in todays marketing free for all.

Or if it is a duck, then sadly it may look like one and quack like one, but probably never had the chance to swim like one - almost all commercially reared ducks are kept in cruel conditions without access to open water.

Thanks all. Dimplex confirm it's not asbestos, but nor will they tell me what it is. Oh well.

I've got 7 of them to dismantle so I'll nab a full face mask from work to be on the safe side and crack on :D

Is there some reason why you are going for total disassembly?

Removing the outer cover and the inner front panel is sufficient to allow the bricks to be taken out, the rest is a lightweight empty box which can be disposed of as is.

Is there some reason why you are going for total disassembly?

Removing the outer cover and the inner front panel is sufficient to allow the bricks to be taken out, the rest is a lightweight empty box which can be disposed of as is.

The insulation in this particular model is in contact with the bricks and is quite loose - pulling any of the bricks out brings a load of fluff etc. with it. If I can leave all the insulation in the box I will, and just bag each unit up before going to the tip.

T... If I can leave all the insulation in the box I will, and just bag each unit up before going to the tip.
Do you have any statement in writing from Dimplex confirming that it is not asbestos?

I ask because (and you may well already have thought of this) if you turn up at the tip with bags of that stuff, if the staff notice they might be as 'worried'/suspicious about it as you initially were!

Kind Regards, John

They are ceramic wool and ceramic slab, both modern non asbestos insulation materials. They are used for high temp applications, heaters, steam pipes (preformed), ships exhausts etc
It is sometimes referred to as the 'new asbestos' because when the binder breaks down the fibres acts like asbestos fibres.

I presume not in the lungs?

Kind Regards, John

There has not been enough research done on the material yet to determine either way, apparently the binders break down above 1000c so anything below that is
likely to remain stable.

There has not been enough research done on the material yet to determine either way, apparently the binders break down above 1000c so anything below that is likely to remain stable.
Interesting. I presume that work has been done on the fibres themselves, to (hopefully) confirm that they don't have the same carcinogenic potential as asbestos ones?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back