berry magicoal? asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I'm after some advice please. I just bought a vintage storage heater and now I'm struggling to figure out if it contains asbestos. It's a berry magicoal, and I can't even find the model number. It says patt number 406m. I've searched the asbestos website and I'm struggling as it says SRO, SR, and SRC contains asbestos but not even sure what that means. Any advice? Is it safe to use?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Asbestos is only dangerous if it is disturbed. Sealed up inside a storage heater should not be a problem surely.

I've searched the asbestos website and I'm struggling as it says SRO, SR, and SRC contains asbestos but not even sure what that means.
It means that those particular models have asbestos in them. If yours doesn't have any label stating the model, there is no way to know if yours does or not.
Those three examples only have a small pad of asbestos inside, so the risk small compared to those types where the internal insulation is asbestos.

If it was one of those which have asbestos insulation inside, it's already too late - dismantling and moving it will have released vast quantities of asbestos fibres.

Any advice? Is it safe to use?
Advice - dispose of it. Safe to use - unknown. Given it's age, the internal wiring probably needs replacing anyway, regardless of the asbestos issue.

I would like to keep it. It wasn't until I bought it and Google it to find others like it that I started all this worrying about asbestos. I've searched everywhere on it for a model number and have found nothing except on the back it has in the metal 406 tb but upon googling that found nothing. And then the plate which says : guarded in accordance with BS1945 and BS1670, patt.no 406m, ser.no 17696, watts 3000. Driving me crazy. And then I saw on one of these fours that the wiring could have asbestos? Is there any way to know? I don't want to have just wasted £20, and chuck it just because I'm not sure. I was thinking of rewiring it but now I'm stuck. Just wondered if anyone has had this model before? I tried to create an album with pictures buy don't think it's working from my phone 😯

Sponsored Links
Asbestos cannot be identified from a visual examination, the only certain way is to have samples of the materials from it tested, this will cost £100+.

Asbeslux looks like Asbestos and was made as a non Asbestos replacement. There have been many scares where building were evacuated because the two were mixed up. Also many a building declared Asbestos free only to after find some.

The problem with Asbestos is delayed and my father had problems at 75 but worked with it at 20 years old so just not worth the risk. Just dump it.

With Asbestos mixed in concrete which was common for roofing it's not so bad and painting removes most of the risk but with a fire the heat means it's very dry and the chance of dust is very high so it's a case of treating first before removal to stop dust and then dump in the Asbestos skip in re-cycling centre.

screenshot_420.jpg

I don't want to have just wasted £20

I'm not sure that a statement including such a paltry sum will ever be a rational argument in the face of an increased risk of dying in a fire, or in a suffocating blood coughing mess.

Some assumptions can be made about things manufactured before the 1970s.
If they have wiring and produce heat they contain asbestos.
By the 1970s it started to become obvious asbestos was bad and its use in electrical equipment declined depending on where you live and what your product is.
But it did not end and very likely it is still being used as insulation or binder material in places like India

But that's not all......

Asbestos was added as filler in phenolic plastics.
Your old radio or TV might pose a risk if you cut or dril in it.
Anything containing oil should also be suspect of PCBs if it was manufactured before the mid 70s unless it specificly says otherwise. ( depending on where you live and the product again ).

Most of the toxic materials in electrical equipment are in places you can not acess unless you make a repair or modification.
Some products contain asbestos in place you would not think of...
I have a heater made by Bialaddin that uses K-1 for fuel and the there is asbestos in the burner.

I am full of asbestos, PCBs and assored fire retardents too!
I got this way fixing old things.

Yes, well, slightly interesting.

Here in the UK there is a list of these storage radiator devices that lists those that may contain asbestos.

The guidance we give is how the user can determine the model number so he/she can check the list.

Unless you have specific knowledge of the Magicoal storage radiators and you can help the poster get to this point, then fine. Otherwise, your input only generates noise.

This is on a list too!

Safe to handle unless damaged.
But you can see the asbestos....

Good thing lists are perfect and we live in a perfect world.

I'd hate to see folks sitting on bench for the yearly chest X ray hoping for good news.

That is not a Berry Magicoal Storage Radiator!

We know there is asbestos is some things. I could post a photo of one of our local school buildings and say "safe to use unless damaged".
What's your point?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back