Berry Magicoal Storage Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I've posted this somewhere else, but it might be better suited here...

I've got to remove 3 storage heaters from a property I'm renovating; two are 1st generation Creda TSR but the other is a Berry Magicoal with no model number. I am worried about an asbestos risk and do not want to do anything with it until I know if its safe or not. The property was built circa 1970 so its possible although unlikely that this heater is more than 37 years old.

I can't find any decent information on their ranges as they seem to have disappeared at some point.

Here are some pictures I took:

http://img802.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=20120806121409.jpg

If anyone can identify it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
From AIC:

Manufacturer:
Magicoal

(Berry Magicoal Ltd)

Models which contain Asbestos:
SRO, SR and SRC have white asbestos pad only under cut out

Not known if Asbestos contained:

Models which are Asbestos Free:
Mk1

Mk2 665 / 668

Mk3 665 / 668

ABC Range

I would say it's safe to remove the front cover and have a look to see if you can find a model number on the rating plate etc somewhere inside.

Cheers fella,

Hopefully there is!!!

I've got that reference sheet to cross the others off the list its just pretty difficult with no model number!

There should be a small plate somewhere which will detail things like supply voltage and input power etc. It is often near where the flex goes in to the heater or sometimes even underneath the heater.

It looks like its only maybe 20 years old, so hopefully it should be ok, but don't take any chances.

Also if it's been a replacement unit, just double check the supply flex isn't asbestos insulated. It's rare, but not unknown. If you are unsure, post a clear close up photo on here and someone will be able to tell you if it's ok.

Sponsored Links
Good work!

Can you find reference to this heater on the asbestos register?

Nah, its the SR SRO and SRC I think that have the insulation pads that contain asbestos. 41xx range seems to be one of their later oens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back