cement board - asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anybody tell me if the board in the attached picture is likely to contain asbestos? It's part of the partition/tiling substrate in a bathroom I'm doing up in a house made in 1973.

It looks like a cement skim over plaster board. The base board looks like plaster board and the "cement" is about 7 or 8mm thick on top of the board, supported on what looks like a fibre glass mesh.

Any advice as to whether or not I should get it checked out professionally would be appreciated, ta.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
can anybody tell me if the board in the attached picture is likely to contain asbestos? It's part of the partition/tiling substrate in a bathroom I'm doing up in a house made in 1973.

It looks like a cement skim over plaster board. The base board looks like plaster board and the "cement" is about 7 or 8mm thick on top of the board, supported on what looks like a fibre glass mesh.

Any advice as to whether or not I should get it checked out professionally would be appreciated, ta.
[/img]

It might be better to get it checked out professionally, because it would be impossible to say what it was without seeing it.

Roughcaster.

I agree with Rough; you really can’t tell without looking at it & possibly even analysing it. If it’s any consolation, the cement based board of that era tends to have limited asbestos content & because it’s bound up with cement, is considered low grade. It won’t cause any problems unless you start smashing the stuff up or cutting it with a saw or grinder. All the soffit boards in my 1968 property were Asbestolux (now gone) as is the garage ceiling which is yet to be removed. If you need to get rid, my enquiries have revealed that you local Council should accept low grade asbestos waste correctly bagged & labelled at a central depot but it will cost ya & it will probably still end up as landfill! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back