Asbestos help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
currently living in a 1935 house. First owner lived here until 1997, when it then went to the people we bought the house from. First owner from as far as I can tell was quite careful with his money and wouldn’t have done anything to the house. Next owners came along and added a conservatory.

before we moved in, the surveyor indicated asbestos ceiling tiles in the integrated garage. We had the previous owners remove that.

anyway, getting a loft conversion put in and a couple of interior walls knocked down. And weeks later I come across some article in the news and I’m paranoid about asbestos.

everything tells me that I am … no Artex, no plasterboards anywhere. Ceilings are all lath and plaster, partition walls cinder blocks covered in brown plaster and white plaster. Insulation was blanket insulation. No old fashioned cistern or anything (tbh previous owners gutted the place out too!)

builder assured me that he hasn’t seen an asbestos in the house … I can’t even test anything as the work has now been done. But I am getting paranoid about everything. He just removed the wall vent today and I’m convinced that the grey plaster behind is asbestos!

Sponsored Links
First of all, asbestos isn’t dangerous if it isn’t disturbed.

Secondly, asbestos is dangerous, but only if you breathe in the fibres and even then it takes repeated exposure before the effects take hold 20-30 years later.

Problem is we’ve just had a loft conversion put in … any agitation would have happened

Where exactly is / was this asbestos that you're so worried about?

(My point being, when you say "I don't know to any!" - and you've already described what is / was there, in good detail - balance of probabilities is that there is nothing to be concerned about.)

My two penneth, anyway.

Sponsored Links
Asbestos will make you paranoid. One fiber and your doomed. Make you mad!
It's all about looking for it and dealing with it when we see it.
If you haven't seen any and builders haven't seen any stop worrying about it.

Unless builders were grinding stuff or throwing it about which lets be honest, they would need to be bonkers! So stop worrying or that will do you in.
Easier said than done I know but try.

As above, we all have a bit of asbestos in us. Nothing you have mentioned sounds dodgy, try and move on

As above I don't think theres much to worry about here providing the garage ceiling was removed professionally. As a bit of piece of mind you could contact a local asbestos analyst to come and run reassurance air monitoring in a few rooms?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back