Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

so we were taking down the plaster in our downstairs bathroom to put a sink as there was some previous damage and we got a bit doubtful about if it’s normal plaster or asbestos cement plaster or some sort.

we aren’t experienced at all with what’s asbestos and what’s not but we found some random website and sent them some pictures over text.

they said this is 99% asbestos (cement based) and said it’s £700 to come out and take samples then if it is they’ll have to do a full cleanup.

is this typical?

I don’t know if people can actually tell what’s asbestos and what isn’t but here are the pictures... any advice would be appreciated.

the house was built in the late 1950s.

https://ibb.co/TvGYXnZ

https://ibb.co/t8sXjDd

Sponsored Links
Buy a kit online and send a sample. Search for asbestos test kit.
Dont go on a photo

Sponsored Links

This video seems very useful. £700 is outrageous and may be just the start of charges once they have a foot in your door.

There is no such thing as asbestos cement plaster. And your image links aren't working.

There is no such thing as asbestos cement plaster. And your image links aren't working.
Hey woody,

thanks - links are working fine for other people? Checked a few times and they work.

the guy called it asbestos cement mortar.... apparently

Links are loading now, they were frozen yesterday.

Anyway, asbestos was not used in plaster or applied cement render in the UK. White textured coatings, or cement paste for pipe joints or collars, yes.

The claim of it (anything) being "99% asbestos" is just wrong and makes me think who ever stated that is a clueless charlatan and should be avoided

Ive just seen the pics of this and it looks like lime render thats been skimmed with gypsum is there a coat of artex over it all its hard to tell from the angle.
Btw if you get a positive result from passuk they give guidance what action to take for the various types and if you need to be licenced or not

Thanks guys!

Turns out the samples I sent to a proper company came back negative I.e no trace of asbestos.

That other guy was a muppet. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back