Asbestos in Artex

Sponsored Links
Well the risk assessments under taken by the HSE seem to have effected what is and is not notifiable. If the risk is so minute than why do you think that the HSE have decided that only certain work can be carried out on artex without notification. I would take that denibbing or removal of artex which contains asbestos (or presumed to contain asbestos) would have to be notified now where as it never used to be (Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012).

Goes to show that the HSE have reviewed and amended the control of asbestos regs in reference to work on artex which goes to show that the risks are definitely more than negligible!

Put in perspective driving to and from job to remove artex that *might* contain asbestos is more dangerous than actually removing it. I never said that the risk was negligible, just that it is being blown out of proportion.

Relative risk is not the issue here, though

If I get to work without incident and feel fine, then I can immediately assess the damage done.

If I breathe in asbestos without incident and feel fine,, I have no way of telling what damage is done.

There is a known danger to asbestos, it does not increase or decrease depending on what other riskesare in your life.

But to look at your comparision - Travelling to work carries a risk, but we take reasonable precautions ie tyres are sound, car is serviced, we wear a seat belt etc. We can't eliminate risk fully , but we take as many precations as we can, being aware of other users and the road conditions etc. We eliminate known risks such as driving on bald tyres and bad brakes or doing 120 on a corner

So with asbestos we should do the same, eliminate risk where ever we can.

Sponsored Links
I would have to agree with micilin here. Risk is risk and reasonable practicable health and safety precautions should be taken for any task. I would probably get away with just running over a side street road with out looking and listening. But the risk is too high and I would make sure I did look and listen to ensure that the road was safe to cross.

Asbestos related diseases are nothing to be snipped at and at over 2000 a year contracting them then the risk in my opinion certainly does not exceed the costs of using the correct ppe and asbestos rated equipment.

Using different scenarios with differing risks does not make working with asbestos any less dangerous. The other thing is who gives someone working on asbestos the right to contaminate other unwitting people with incorrect working methods. People who maybe don't drive or smoke as they think the risks are to high. Maybe people who try and eliminate or reduce any minimal risks they encounter throughout their day to day lives. Contaminating young kids who don't have a choice whether or not that they are exposed.

The HSE guidance is readily available and easy to understand. To ignore it due to the opinion that the risk is minimal is not very smart. If there is a guarantee that you would only be contaminating yourself then fair does, but if that can't be guaranteed than that is a different story and if your neglect led to someone suffering a long and horrible death then locking up and throwing away the key is not punishment enough in my view.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back