Artex Repair/Skim over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have the lovely looking artex on the stairs and ceiling of my flat and looking to get rid of it but there are some areas of damage. Can these be skimmed over when doing the other areas? Also what's the chance it needs removing and contains asbestos? Property built in 1983 but not sure when artex was done, ridges are soft and can dent with a nail. Pictures attached. Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Only one answer I'm afraid to find out if it contains asbestos, impossible to tell by looking you need to get a sample tested. Bearing in mind the crumbling nature of it that would be a good idea anyway, at least removing a sample will not be difficult.

Skimming over is fine normally for textured walls, but if it is asbestos it means somebody coming along later will drill holes and carry out work on the wall totally unaware of the danger.

However even if this is asbestos free it looks like a fair bit will have to be hacked off to give a solid base for new plaster.

Thanks. Yes will get a test as likely a lot of disturbance to prepare area. Presume it's safe "as is" as been like that a while. :confused:

Looks like it hs been falling of in chunks rather than as a fine powder so fibre release would be fairly minimal indeed if at all ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, have a surveyor coming out Wednesday so will find out if asbestos or not before getting it repaired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back