Asbestos in Screed - what a claim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wrote off to a couple of asbestos testing firms to get some vermiculite tested for contamination, my email had a short explanation about digging up some screed to have uncovered the vermiculite in the first place. One of the responses claimed that I should send a sample of the cut up screed too, and they state that some screed contains asbestos too... REALLY?!?!

(It's a bit late now, I've dug it all up...)

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Some old screeds can indeed contain asbestos. So do old vinyl floor tiles, old pipe lagging, old Artex, old airing cupboard insulation, etc, etc. In fact anything which could benefit from insulation or extra strength from the fibres may have it included (prior to the 1980 in any case)

Why bother about getting it tested. If it's got asbestos, then you might have been contaminated, so why worry yourself to death. Wet it, take it up carefully, bag and tape it up, then dispose of it.

Sponsored Links
I'm getting the vermiculite tested, and the firm said they'd test a sample of screed for gratis. No worries. It's beyond wetting and putting in a bag - I need gallons and a massive skip! Having googled the subject, it would seem I should expect it to be pink coloured if it were containing "magnesite" and also be falling to pieces, as long term it's not robust against moisture. None of which are the case.

Nozzle

Test results are back - neither the vermiculite nor screed contain any asbestos. Huzzah!

Nozzle

In the back of an old building I have, there's one of those old Niagra falls style toilets with the cistern up the wall. Apparently both the vinyl tiles and the cistern itself contain asbestos, as does the curious black greasy smear of a tar like substance on part of the wall next to it.. I've to avoid flushing the toilet too hard and damaging the cistern..

I'm sure! And when you really need to punish the porcelain with the previous nights' ruby murray, you have to wear a mask??

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back