Asbestos risk of loose insulation in loft.

Sponsored Links
I've heard stories of kids scraping it off the window ledges and rolling up "snowballs" with it near the Carriage Works at York, don't know it there's any truth in it though.

The woman of the house used to suffer as well though washing asbestos ridden overalls etc.

Bit of an update - just got sample back and it had zero (i.e. not even a trace) of asbestos in my sample - it was, however, confirmed as being vermiculite.

Can officially stop the cacky pants, now.

Hope this helps any future readers - if it looks like vermiculite, get it tested!

I have just read about the Carriage Works online - horrific reading.

I just wonder what I am doing now, on a daily basis, that will be the new asbestos of the future (routers, microwaves, mobile phones, PC monitors).

Anyway, time to cheer up now.

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated and, thank god, literally no harm done.

Bit of an update - just got sample back and it had zero (i.e. not even a trace) of asbestos in my sample - it was, however, confirmed as being vermiculite.

Can officially stop the cacky pants, now.

Hope this helps any future readers - if it looks like vermiculite, get it tested!

I have just read about the Carriage Works online - horrific reading.

I just wonder what I am doing now, on a daily basis, that will be the new asbestos of the future (routers, microwaves, mobile phones, PC monitors).

Anyway, time to cheer up now.

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated and, thank god, literally no harm done.
Great news.

In terms of the new asbestos: cleaning chemicals, antiperspirant, air fresheners, diesel particulate matter, fried food (3-mcpd), baked food (acrylamide)

Sponsored Links
Great news.

In terms of the new asbestos: cleaning chemicals, antiperspirant, air fresheners, diesel particulate matter, fried food (3-mcpd), baked food (acrylamide)

Bloody hell - quite a list.

I am going to resist my urge to look up any of those issues as I will probably never sleep again.

Sod's law will probably dictate, now, that the relief of a negative test will lead me to forget to look both ways, tonight. If I get killed by a 70s vehicle (with asbestos in the braking system), you have my permission to chuckle.

It's a scary world. The cleaning chemical/air freshener bit is about something called the toxic cocktail effect, or similar, when seemingly safe chemicals all mix together inside us, and we have no idea about the effects.

Ignorance is bliss!!

Yes, electromagnetic radiation is a concern I think.
In terms of the new asbestos: cleaning chemicals, antiperspirant, air fresheners, diesel particulate matter, fried food
Yes , all dodgey .Breathing in anything that comes out of an aerosol can can't be good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back