Any risk of asbestos in this loft insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I own a 1960's house and I want to upgrade the insulation in the loft which currently consist of a (A) dark brown base layer (green eclipse in photo) overlaid with (B) loose fill material (red eclipse in photo) which looks like it originally had a craft paper lining or bag overlaid (C) with recent glass fibre roll. The base layer and loose fill is uneven so I want to remove it and replace with rockwool slab to joist level and then overlay correctly in the opposite direction with the glass roll. I just want to clarify whether there is any risk of asbestos or not in (A) and (B). I attach an image. Many thanks

Attachments

• Insulation.jpg
    Insulation.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 270
Sponsored Links
Do you mean "Is it asbestos" or "is there a risk if it is asbestos"?

For the former, probably not. For the latter, not if you just cover it up.

Thanks Woody. Leaving it is not really an option. Its really uneven so not very energy efficient and it would have to be disturbed to try to even it out. Plus the house is close to a road so the plan is to replace with high density slab to combat some road noise and improve thermal efficiency. Hence, I have made my mind up on the removal. It doesnt look like asbestos to me, I believe that is white or grey, rather it looks like blown rock fibre. I might have to send a sample off for testing.

Sponsored Links
Asbestos was not used in an insulation format like fibreglass or rockwool for laying down on ceilings and the like.

If it looks like fibreglass or rockwool, then that's what it will be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back