Asbestos risk in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on the war path with the big A in our house at the moment, trying to find as many ACM's as possible and decide whether we need them removing.
The previous owners have had the loft boarded, underlayed and carpeted about 12 months before we moved in - delightful, but I'm ripping off the woodchip in the bedroom which is exposing gaps between the ceiling and the walls and some black fuzzy stuff is dropping down (imagine compost) I'm guessing this is just moldy nastiness but I got thinking - what's the risk of the ceiling containing asbestos loose-fill, seeing as they had it boarded recently? I've already changed all of the ceiling light fittings upstairs and have yet to be showered In the stuff but I'd like to assess my risk without pulling the boards and carpet up in the loft.

Sponsored Links
All asbestos was banned from 1999 with the worst types banned in 1985. It is possible some old-stock material was used slightly after 1999 - this would likely be stuff like artex and asbestos cement products. If you have any doubts there are several companies who offer relatively inexpensive tests e.g. https://asbestossamplesdirect.com/ (example only - never used them). Asbestos was mostly used from 1950's through to 1980's. If in doubt, get it tested.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for making me aware of my moronic questioning lads. Looks like I'm getting a board up in the loft. Any idea where the weird soily dirt in the loft is appearing from? Not got a grow on Nige, although next door seem to not get as much snow as we do :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back