Is this asbestos in my loft - Victorian house, London?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am clearing out old loft insualtion and picking up debris along the way. House is Victorian in borough of London.

Is this old insulation I am rolling up contain asbestos?

And underneath the insulation this crumbling stuff between the loft joists - is this asbestos?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20221120_151129[1].jpg
    IMG_20221120_151129[1].jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20221120_154124[1].jpg
    IMG_20221120_154124[1].jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
Appears to be the back of a lath & plaster ceiling with a roll of fibreglass insulation on top. Very unlikely to be asbestos.

However if there is any suspicion of asbestos, the only option is to have a sample tested before any other work is done.
If anyone rummages in and disturbs asbestos containing materials then it's already too late.
You can't undo the release of asbestos - it will already have been spread over everything and everyone in the vicinity will have breathed it in.

The horizontal ridges? That the keys from a lathe and plaster ceiling. Where the lime and horsehair plaster has squished between the lathes. And a century of loft filth on top

Random Google pic

1668966033198.png

Sponsored Links
Appears to be the back of a lath & plaster ceiling with a roll of fibreglass insulation on top. Very unlikely to be asbestos.

However if there is any suspicion of asbestos, the only option is to have a sample tested before any other work is done.
If anyone rummages in and disturbs asbestos containing materials then it's already too late.
You can't undo the release of asbestos - it will already have been spread over everything and everyone in the vicinity will have breathed it in.
How can I check for asbestos? Can I call somebody in to survey? What is the process?

How can I check for asbestos? Can I call somebody in to survey? What is the process?

Find an asbestos lab, in your local yellow pages, talk to them and ask. Probably a matter of taking a sample of what what concerns, but do wear a mask and overhauls - sealing it in a plastic bag, then delivery it to the lab for their opinion.

As others have said - that is normal lathe and plaster, with a layer of coal dust on top. And the glass based insulation (itchy). No asbestos there.

But make sure you wear a mask - that dust is still an irritant.

If you did want to test for asbestos (which you don't need to) here are suppliers of test kits.

As others have said - that is normal lathe and plaster, with a layer of coal dust on top. And the glass based insulation (itchy). No asbestos there.

But make sure you wear a mask - that dust is still an irritant.

If you did want to test for asbestos (which you don't need to) here are suppliers of test kits.
Awesome I wasn't aware of these kits will definitely use when in doubt. Thanks to this forum I have learned about lath and plaster by googling it and watching YouTube videos and now more confident going about my business in loft. Cheers everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back