Not sure if I have asbestos in my loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was up in my loft the other day looking to see how feasible a loft conversion was and I noticed these sheets of what I think might be asbestos. There's 3 of them in total (1 is broken in half, not sure when it happened) and are about 500x700mm in size.

Here are 2 pics of them (the images aren't very clear as the lighting up there is very poor).

View media item 25438
View media item 25437
Can anyone tell whether this is asbestos?

Thanks,

Hamant.

Sponsored Links
You cant be 100% certain without looking at it but it appears to be what we used to call "straw board" which was used for insulation.

Even if they are asbestos If you only have 3 sheets of them you can double-bag them in bin bags and legally take them to the tip if your local council have asbestos facilities there, some do some don't.

But I don't think they look like asbestos.

It would be illegal to wrap them in a binbag and put them in the wheeliebin if you KNEW they were asbestos.

Sponsored Links
or Strammet :idea: : maybe loosely woven fibre glass with resin :confused: not asbestos tho`/.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

You cant be 100% certain without looking at it but it appears to be what we used to call "straw board" which was used for insulation.

I did a Google image search for straw board and found this. Doesn't look very similar to what I have.

strawbd_closeup.JPG

AKA woodwool?

I think it might be woodwool. I've taken some more photos using a better camera and it looks very similar to what I found when i Google'd woodwool.

View media item 25475
View media item 25476
View media item 25477
View media item 25478
View media item 25479
This is what Google turned up. Looks very similar to what's in my loft albeit the individual strands of whatever they are look straighter.

wood-wool-cement-board_13.jpg

FZAl9duV.jpg

If it helps, I beleive one of the boards was used as a cover to the old cold water tank that we had before the combi was installed.

Looks like strawboard or Stramit board, basically it's straw and cement I think. But sometimes it can have an asbestos paper backing (I've never seen it with the paper backing though).

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I did a Google image search for straw board and found this. Doesn't look very similar to what I have.

strawbd_closeup.JPG

AKA woodwool?

I think it might be woodwool. I've taken some more photos using a better camera and it looks very similar to what I found when i Google'd woodwool.

View media item 25475
View media item 25476
View media item 25477
View media item 25478
View media item 25479
This is what Google turned up. Looks very similar to what's in my loft albeit the individual strands of whatever they are look straighter.

wood-wool-cement-board_13.jpg

FZAl9duV.jpg

If it helps, I beleive one of the boards was used as a cover to the old cold water tank that we had before the combi was installed.

looks like weetabix to me... have it for breakfast... problem solved...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back