Is this asbestos ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Two corrugated sheets been in my garden a while, ever since I moved in anyway. I am tidying up this corner and need to move them.

Not sure if it's asbestos though, any ideas please?

Thanks

Mike

20160618_181844.jpg
20160618_181849.jpg

Sponsored Links
Easiest way to tell is snap a bit off and have a look at the fibers. Then take a lighter/blow torch to them and see if it melts or just glows red/white hot.

Without a microscope to look at the fibers, you will not know for sure. But, that looks very typical of asbestos cement corrugated sheet that is very common on older outbuildings/garages. For your info, there is not much ACM (asbestos containing material) in it, and the fibers are well bonded to the cement type matrix. If it is left in tact it will be of no health issue to you. If you smash it up with a hammer and put it in a fire, you will liberate the fibers and cause an issue though!

I bet your local tip has an asbestos facility for this. Put a plastic sheet in your boot and take it there. Sorted.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone, thought so, will phone council and check which tip to take it to.

Cheers.

Easiest way to tell is snap a bit off and have a look at the fibers. Then take a lighter/blow torch to them and see if it melts or just glows red/white hot.

Are you having a laugh?!? If it is asbestos and it's intact then it's perfectly safe. Perfectly. As soon as you start releasing fibres though...

Nozzle

If you look on your council website it should tell you which tips and the proceedure.
Only a couple of council tips will take asbestos around here and only four bags per household per year.
One has to pre book before taking the sheets double wrapped in polythene sheeting.
litl

But it works, cement board is reinforced with fiberglass which melt, the asbestos fibers do not.

So if the fibres don't melt that's a good way of checking if you've just released asbestos fibres?!

So if the fibres don't melt that's a good way of checking if you've just released asbestos fibres?!
LOL
The asbestos in these sheets are embedded into the substrate, this material is so stable you'd have to sand it to get anything from it.
By all means wear the correct PPE as when undertaking any DIY or other activity which needs it I would. But I have more important things to worry about with all the microwaves, GM crops, global warming, antibiotic resistant bacteria, diminishing oil reserves, terrorism, rising sea levels, fattening and aging population, wealth gap, EU referendum, Putin, China, North Korea, effects of soy, female hormones in the water, rising energy prices, getting old, getting sick ARGGGGGG we've all going to die.

I've had a quote to remove the two sheets. One is 2.6 x 0.7m and the other is 1.3x0.7m

Transport £30.00
Disposal: 2x Asbestos Sheets £28.00
Haz Waste Certificate £25.00
Sub Total £83.00
VAT £16.60
Total £99.60

Seem ballpark reasonable or should I get another quote ? Do I have to have the cert?

Thanks

Take a look at your local council wesbite who do a pick-up service. A service like this is idea for un-broken sheet like what you have.

Nozzle

Thanks nozzle tried that route already they only provide collection for small amount's which fit in a bag which they supply. These sheets won't fit unless I break them up, which I'm not prepared to do..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back