Asbestos Lagging in House / Small Commercial Properties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Was asbestos lagging on pipes common in houses or small commercial properties or is it used more on large pipes?

I have come across a small pipe (a couple of cm diameter max) which I am wary about.

It is enclosed in some form of box so I could only get to a restricted view of it from about a foot away (I was not intending to find it). My knowledge on this sort of thing is limited, if it is asbestos was it dangerous of me to have breathed so close to it (as my breathe could blow on it and release fibers) or is there only a danger when you touch such items?

Cheers,

Rob

Sponsored Links
Asbestos was commonly used everywhere, so there is every possibility it could be situate as you describe. However, I wouldn't panic, fibres are usually released when the material is disturbed or broken, just looking at it shouldn't be an issue. The stuff remains in buildings everywhere, and is usually quite harmless, unless disturbed.

If unsure, put a picture up, we may be able to identify it, but if in doubt, its best to play it safe and do not poke around unless proper precautions are in place.

Are you in a house or a small commercial property?

Are you a householder,or working there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back