Asbestos Pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just bought a house and currently ripping it out ready for extending and renovating.

It's circa 1970 and whilst it now has gas central heating there is stainless steel ducting all through the house which used to be a hot air heating system.

I don't think the ducting contains asbestos although I am inspecting carefully, however where the old heating boiler was for this is a chimney flue which has a pipe going up the chimney. This looks like cement asbestos maybe, any comments?...

20170617_101337.jpg

I'm busy arranging an inspection of the whole house so assume they will take samples etc.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
99% sure asbestos cement flue.

Much more dangerous is what appears to be asbestos rope - do not disturb it or sample it yourself

Thanks, unfortunately a bit late for not disturbing the rope, not this one but the other day I was removing the fireplace and as I pulled the hearth away from the wall, this tor away from its seal...

20170819_151810.jpg

I mixed a spray tub of PVA and water and doused down the area then wrapped in plastic sealed with gorilla tape, not much more I could have done. It's now laying on the living room wrapped up but will need to arrange removal.

Cheers.

Most local authority tips have dedicated skips for homeowners to take asbestos waste to....maybe worth checking.

Sponsored Links
Most local authority tips have dedicated skips for homeowners to take asbestos waste to....maybe worth checking.

And the backward council's that don't, just get it hidden and mixed up and thrown in one of the other skips.

Warm air heating installed prior to the 80's typically has an asbestos flue, and can have asbestos linings down the sides of the heater unit if installed in a cupboard, and a lining on or in any cupboard door.

Flue tends to be the less hazardous asbestos cement, whilst other asbestos is the more hazardous AIB.

Thanks, hopefully only the flue to remove then as there is nothing below that and according to the neighbors was removed years ago.

Do you happen to know how far up the flue is likely to go? Is it all the way up to the chimney in roof or just part way? Trying to work out how best to have it removed as I also want to remove the chimney as part of the works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back