asbestos boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following replacement of central heating system i am left with remains of old boiler flue which plumbers would not remove as it 'might contain asbestos'. can anyone recommend a reliable asbestos removal service that doesn't cost the earth?

Sponsored Links
The boiler flue is most likely to be asbestos cement - same stuff was used to make gutters, downpipes, flat & corrugated roof sheets for sheds, garages and the old heat resisting pads for the ends of ironing boards and school chemistry labs. It generally contains around 2% asbestos fibre - the rest is made up of cement. Worst case it's 10% asbestos. As the asbestos fibres are bound up by the cement - just like horsehair in old ceiling plaster - it's quite safe as long as it isn't cut, broken, drilled or sanded when fibres can be released.

So most people are paranoid about it when they shouldn't be. Get paranoid about the asbestos sprayed onto metal beams (about 90% asbestos) and the asbestos wall boards used alot in 1960-1970's building that are 40% asbestos. Let's get real about asbestos cement.

For a one off DIY type job as long as you spray it with water and keep it wet there will be hardly any measurable fibre release when it's wrapped up. You are more at risk from the asbestos fibre levels down London Underground taking the tube.

Most local council tips will take it if it's well wrapped up in polythene. Some have special locked skips for it; some don't. Hunt around - I'm on teh border of four different Councils each with a different policy.

If you don't really fancy DIY and are feeling rich then Google an asbestos removal contractor thats a member of ARCA Asbestos Removal Contractors Association and make sure they are licensed by HSE.

Cremeegg said:
For a one off DIY type job as long as you spray it with water and keep it wet there will be hardly any measurable fibre release when it's wrapped up.

Is there a particular type of mask we should be wearing whilst removing asbestos? You can only seem to buy masks for dust, paint and fumes, or MDF dust. Would an MDF mask be sufficient if the asbestos was dampened down?

I was told once that spray glue (like what you use for sticking down carpet tiles) is a good way to keep fibres from floating about.

I phoned up an asbestos company and they said that they would charge £100 to come and test whether it was asbestos, and that there was no clear way of telling except in a lab! And they were the cheapest.

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with Cremegg, as a one off double bag it & take it to your local council dump, Damp it well when removing it.

pdcelec said:
only a licensed asbestos removal contractor can legally remove asbestos
i take it you mean on a commercial basis. as (some (so phone before you start)) local tips take it, Im sure DIY is fine, but as always you are liable for the safety of yourself and those around (the risks and precautions have been outlined above).

i hear wallpaper paste is a good way of damping it down, makes sense as its cheap and wont evaporate quick

If the flue is pre 1990 then its almost certain to contain asbestos - only a lab can tell for certain and tell which type although that is pretty immaterial. Labs around here will analyse samples for £50. Why not treat it as asbestos and dispose of it carefully and save £50-£100 plus. As long as it's wet with water or any other liquid the fibre release will be greatly reduced. Hair spray is a common trick used by asbestos strippers to reduce fibre levels in air. As long as you are careful for this type of job there is very little risk.

Always bear in mind that when an asbestos analyst takes air samples in a room after any asbestos removal they will give the OK to any levels that are less than 0.01 fibres per ml or 10,000 fibres per cubic metre of air. So your average small lounge of say 4m x 4m x 2.5m is said to be clear and ready for re-occupation with 400,000 asbestos fibres still floating about in it. So the best part of half a million fibres floating around ready to breathe in is legally safe. Kinda puts the odd boiler flue into perspective!

Cremeegg said:
The boiler flue is most likely to be asbestos cement - same stuff was used to make gutters, downpipes, flat & corrugated roof sheets for sheds, garages and the old heat resisting pads for the ends of ironing boards and school chemistry labs.

Indeed........and when I sat @ one during my schooling there were bottles of various acids on the benches in front of us :eek: :LOL: :LOL: oh, yes and a thing called Discipline :rolleyes:

Hours spent playing with various acids whilst teachers back was turned to see which would eat its way through the thick wooden bench the quickest. Plenty of discipline when caught doing that. No goggles no safety screens no "elf & safety" yet we are all still here and all the better and less paranoid for it

Sorry to jump into your debate but I have a question regarding asbestos guttering, " what are the main defects/ faults with asbestos rainwater goods? ". Any info would be gratefully received as it is driving me mad ,

thanks

Main defects or faults. Difficult to get it to take paint unless you use alkali resistant paints. Will become slightly porous over time. Likely to have lichen and moss growing on it. Should have been jointed with bitumen and screwed/bolted together - so joints are likely to leak but easily repaired. Heavy to put up. Not flexible - can be advantage or disadvantage. Will take a ladder rested against it without bowing like PVC. Can be brittle so resting a ladder against it can be a problem. Awkward to take down - very heavy - especially when old, porous and wet. Will give off asbestos fibres when cut broken drilled sanded. Gutters are big and deep better than Deepflow for capacity. Heavy swannecks and downpipes more difficult to fix. If its up there and doing its job leave it alone and it'll do fine. Difficult to keep it looking nice tho. Anymore?

Following replacement of central heating system i am left with remains of old boiler flue which plumbers would not remove as it 'might contain asbestos'. can anyone recommend a reliable asbestos removal service that doesn't cost the earth?
:D

the flue is made of standard asbestos flue piping approximately 30 years old,but I would not consider it a problem to remove.Please let me have your observations and comments.

My Daughter has been told by the guys fitting here new gas fire that the flue (that originally served a "baxi Bermuda" boiler & gas fire) is asbestos cement. They've stopped work and she is trying to find someone to sort it. I think the flue can simply be re-lined cos removal would be a nightmare and frankly not worth it.

Any suggestions from anyone with similar experience?

The "guys fitting the gas fire" should have seen that prior to quoting, its their job to sort it!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back