Asbestos boiler flue - how long?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive had an old floor standing boiler removed which had an asbestos flue from the boiler which then disappears into a hole knocked into the chimney.

The boiler fitter removed the visible flue and just cemented the hole in the chimney. Some of the flue was clearly left inside the chimney.

At a later date I intend to drop a chimney liner down the chimney for a log burner but was wondering how much asbestos flue is left in there blocking it up. I can't see it going the whole distance of the chimney due to the bends. Would there be a flexi liner in there too?

Any ideas on old flue practices? What is likely to be in the chimney? There is a metal type cowl on the pot.

Sponsored Links
Nothing is certain where building is concerned, but usually the asbestos will not go all the way through the chimney, as a rule it either just discharges into the old chimney or ideally connects to a stainless steel flexible liner. With luck this is what you saw left in the flue.
The liner will need to be replaced but with luck you may be able to splice them together somehow and use the old to pull the new one through.

I'd guess the boiler was 70's by the looks of it. As you said, can't see the rigid flue going that far up. Fingers crossed it just goes into the chimney with no liner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back