Asbestos tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I know this isnt really diy but I hoped you guys might be able to help :LOL:

I recently had a guy around to do a quote to replace the tiles on a small outbuilding. He added into the conversation that the tiles were asbestos. Just to prepare myself, will this mean alot more expence for them to remove the tiles do you recon?

Also is there an easy way to tell for myself they are asbestos just so I know I am not being ripped, they just look like slate to me!

Ta

Lucy

Sponsored Links
To tell for sure that its asbestos you would have to have a sample taken and checked by a lab.

It its is then the removal cost will be more as extra precautions have to be taken when removing to prevent dust, it has to be properly bagged and sealed and taken to a licensed disposal facility - who will charge accordingly.

have a look at http://www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk/ for more info.

Check with your local council for advice, my local council will take away a certain amount of asbestos roofing for free, and charge for any over the allocated amount.
You will probably still need someone to remove it though, but don't let anyone rip you off and claim that they cost a fortune to have disposed of (if it IS asbestos) Get several quotes at least.

So you recon for a roofer to just take one look and decide its asbestos is probably not likely?

Sponsored Links
Lucypop said:
So you recon for a roofer to just take one look and decide its asbestos is probably not likely?

If he's a roofer then he should know his stuff, but he might be claiming it's asbestos when it's not in order to get more money for the work being done. This of course is a worse-case scenario, use your own judgement. Get a second opinion if necessary.

Re-reading your first post, did he say that the job will cost a lot more because of the asbestos? or was he just mentioning it in conversation?

What's the area of roof to be replaced, and how much did he quote for the entire job?

I wouldn't know what you'd pay for such a service but there are roofers on here who could tell you if it seems reasonable or not. (Note point #9 in the forum rules)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back