Removing Asbestos Roof Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to remove asbestos roof shingles from a ground floor level bay roof and was hoping someone here could give me some advice as to how best to go about it. I'm aware of the dangers of removing asbestos and will get appropriate protective equipment.
I have read through other posts and I understand I should use a 'slate ripper' to remove the nails so that the tiles can be removed whole. Is this the best way or should I approach the nails from the head of the nail; if so what tool should I use. I have found a slate ripper for around £15 on ebay; is it worth getting this or would I be better off hiring one?
I believe the roof is original- the house was built in 1929. Are the nails used likely to be copper/ easy to remove?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks. What sort of tool should I use to remove the nails then? Presumably some sort of cutting pliers or pincers? Do From experience do you know whether the nails normally cut easily or are do they tend to be down snug against the tile?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

What sort of Felt / underlay / Membrane would you recommend?

I have some Shed felt left over from another project which is just the right size - can this be used? Willing to go and buy some more as while yourin there you may as well do it properly.

Cheers

Thanks. What sort of tool should I use to remove the nails then? Presumably some sort of cutting pliers or pincers? Do From experience do you know whether the nails normally cut easily or are do they tend to be down snug against the tile?

The nails are likely to be very thin. They will come out easily with a claw hammer with a good claw.
pull out nails , lift slate off of the rivet.

Get hold of some breathable membrane and dont use the shed felt.

It should be easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back