best way to remove slates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I need to remove the two bottom courses of slates from my roof. If I remove the first row with a slate ripper thats fine. how do you remove the next row down withour breaking the slates? do i have to use the ripper for the whole job?

has anyone used the jenny twin clips to reinstate slates and if so, what were they like to work with?

thanks a lot
harry

Sponsored Links
Remove the 2nd course first, then you can access the first course nails and then the eve course, ive used jenny clips and they work fine.
Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Hi i have read some of your question's and some of the reply's i can hardly belive that judging by the question's these idiot's are prepared to actualy venture onto a roof this is not a safe enviroment even for roofer's who do this work every-day let alone these people who do not seem to have even basic common sense i was a roofer for 30 year's and have lost 5 good friend's and a few more who cannot lead a basic healthy life that most of you seem to take as a given i pray that you take at least basic safety precaution's before undertaking any roof work's
please use a reputable roofer it may cost less than your life!!!

HO, where did the OP say that he was NOT going to be using any protective measures? where does his post say that he is not going to use scaffolding if needed?

For all you know his roof could be only 4" above the level of a safe surface that is behind/below it?

But your assuming he is an idiot & insulting him as such.

If you are concerned about someone's safety & want to reccomend that they get a roofer in then simply advise it, no need to insult the OP.

This is a DIY forum where people are expecting DIY advise, not insults in order to get the professionals in.

thanks mattylad for the support. the roof in question is a ground floor FLAT ROOF that joins a pitched slate roof. i needed to remove the bottom slates to fit the new roof covering.

i dont know what is wrong with homeinspector114. only thing i can think of is: saturday night, must have been steaming.

Hi. Having access to welding gear i often use an old wood saw and braise a hack saw blade to blade. This allow me to slide it up between slates and cut nails. Although it does not remove the nail in whole, it does not account for so many broken slates, especially when large galv nails have been used. Good Luck

Just a quick note on tingles / clips.

If you take out the slates in a pyramid pattern along the length of the proposed works [ie 4 from the eaves 3 form the next course etc] then you can drastically cut down on the amount of the clips needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back