Asbestos & Fascias

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the lower (ground level) wooden fascias on a 1960s dormer bungalow.

From what I understand I need to remove the first few courses of tiles, remove the existing wooden fascia and replace with uPVC - this I'm quite happy with and since it's all at ground level this should be fairly easy. The soffets are asbestos but in good condition so I was going to leave these and simply repaint.

However, looking at the roof last night there doesn't appear to be any felt but instead a fibre cement (asbestos?) board supporting the last row of tiles. I'm assuming the board runs around the perimeter of the roof as I can see it at the gable end. I know for certain the main roof (above the dormer) is felted because you can see it from the loft however there is no internal access to the roofing below the dormer.

The roof tiles themselves appear to be small concrete non-interlocking plain tiles.

Is this common and what options do I have for replacement? I don't really want to disturb anything asbestos!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
there will be felt - probably rotted - above the fascia , the board you see is the verge detail and doesn`t run round the eaves :idea: Consider putting an over fascia vent in with a slightly narrower fascia to bring height back to original

Cheers, so I'll remove the first few rows of tiles, the existing fascia then new fascia, under eaves vent on top of that then some eaves protection trays with the tiles on top of that?

Sd says its supports the last row of tiles. He could mean the first course of tiles.
In which case he could simply have an open eaves detail where the soffit strip is attached to the top of the rafters in which case it could be the full perimeter.

A picture would be best.

Sponsored Links
I'm just going to leave ours ...
I have noticed a few people having work on their soffits on our estate . I am currently looking to have something done about my fascia and soffits. I have 2 different companies one for replacing with upvc and the other for capping. They both seem well established reasonable businesses and both sound very reasonable in their reasons for the choices. I was looking for some clear advice. This thread had me convinced that replacing was the way to go right up..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back