Penetrating damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with rainwater soaking the inside of my fascia boards at the front and back of the main building. When shining a torch in the loft during wet, windy weather this is clearly visible. The front elevation has a gabled projection adjoining the roof, so the wet fascia area has an asbestos sheet directly above it, which is lined with felt. In other words, the pitched roof doesn't slope in that direction - it forms an apex above it. There's a length of lead visible above the guttering, which I presume is there to act as a drip edge or something similar.

Conversely, to the rear of the building where the wet fascia is situated, the pitched roof slopes down to the eaves. However, this area isn't entirely visible from ground level, as it adjoins the tenement.

I had all the guttering replaced around 4 years ago and the fascias/soffits clad at the same time. The roof looks sound from a ground level inspection with binoculars.

I'm therefore at a loss as to how the water's getting in and would appreciate any advice offered.

Sponsored Links
I saw some lads replacing the fascia's and guttering from a roof I was working on and the bottom of the felt crumbled and broke away as it gets brittle, they did not care and that could be your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back