Asbestos under bitumen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been removing gripper rods in our porch due to replacement of the carpet. The flooring is concrete with a bitumen top layer.

On a number of the grippers they had been nailed into the floor. Upon removal this brought up areas of the solid bitumen. What I did notice was there's a 'fibrous' material under this bitumen. Is this likely to be asbestos? They're not tiles and it appears to be poured bitumen. Property was built in 1982.

Sponsored Links
It might be. We were still using asbestos insulation at that time, so it might be cement asbestos which uses crysotile (the least harmful variant). This was often used in council and housing association stock. It can always be tested if you want to be certain, but whetever you do, DON'T vacuum it up, instead it should be damped down with water then gently brushed up

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be. We were still using asbestos insulation at that time, so it might be cement asbestos which uses crysotile (the least harmful variant). This was often used in council and housing association stock. It can always be tested if you want to be certain, but whetever you do, DON'T vacuum it up, instead it should be dampwd down with water then gently brushed up
The whole bitumen edging was vacuumed when the skirting boards were removed, so bit late now! This was before I removed the grippers but the bitumen was still already cracked. Obviously I had no idea there was any fibrous material beneath!

I'll get it sent off for sampling as I ideally want to remove all the bitumen to get the level down to fit some wood flooring.

Sponsored Links
In most cases that’s your Dpm for your floor.
but if removing it you will need to latex screed the sub floor and possible grind it clean 1st. Then apply an epoxy Dpm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back