Bitumen DPC on concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a 50s house with a concrete floor and a layer of bitumen on top, I've noticed the previous carpet fitter has nailed the gripper rods to it which has cracked the bitumen layer at the edges, crumbling at some points. It's not too bad and the bitumen doesn't extend all the way to the wall anyway. Does anyone know whether I can get away with leaving it and get the new carpet fitter to glue the grippers down over the cracks and where there's the odd lump missing or do I need to worry about expensive repair work? There was no damp problem noted when we bought the house, we did have a full survey, house was also empty for nearly a year and no damp smells when we got in. The old carpet has been up for several weeks now and not noticed any moisture or problems through the recent bad weather.

The main area of concern is under the window where the new plaster looks to have struggled to dry compared to the rest of the room, and the channel between the outside wall and the bitumen layer looks damp. We've not had any working heating though and the radiator above was leaking, which then mixed with crumbling plaster so I think it's just not had chance to dry out.

Sorry for the waffle, it's my first house just want to get it right.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
philt89, good evening.

Can I suggest that you have a look @ the "search" function, the box at the top right of this page, there are loads of broadly similar questions that have been asked with answers ?

In general, if the floor below the DPM Layer is dry then all should be well?? but dependent on water table Etc. Etc.

Small missing areas of Mastic at the edges of a room are very common,

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back