Repairing large(ish) areas of thick black bitumen flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Moved into an early 70's house which has the thick (15-20mm) black bitumen flooring on top of concrete.

Upon recently looking under the bath (A completely disconnected DIY job) I noticed that all of the Bitumen had been removed for the bath to be fitted - ie It is resting on concrete only.

Another area - on the step (indoors) in front of our patio doors - the bitumen is also removed - I think from when new doors were fitted.

How can I repair these "missing" areas of bitumen ?

Ideally i would like to just "pour" in some new bitumen - let it set - and get on with all the other DIY jobs but I am guessing it is not as simple as that - particularly as I cannot find any mention of such a product.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I believe the flooring is Bitumen Ashphalt - called either or both - I think it is the same thing (Not the same as Ashphalt road surface though )

Also known as a hot asphalt mastic floor ?

yep basically. Normally your Dpm also! Dont know who repairs the stuff. I would normally fill in the holes and then apply a liquid dpm and then smooth with the correct compound to have a perfect floor at the end.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I was hoping for a simple job of replacing with like for like for ease but looks like it may not be possible ?

Look in Yellow Pages under "Asphalt and Macadam laying".

A lot of them only do roads and drives but look for those who do flooring.
There may well be a minimum charge depending on the area you want doing.

Hi,
Moved into an early 70's house which has the thick (15-20mm) black bitumen flooring on top of concrete.

Upon recently looking under the bath (A completely disconnected DIY job) I noticed that all of the Bitumen had been removed for the bath to be fitted - ie It is resting on concrete only.

Another area - on the step (indoors) in front of our patio doors - the bitumen is also removed - I think from when new doors were fitted.

How can I repair these "missing" areas of bitumen ?

Ideally i would like to just "pour" in some new bitumen - let it set - and get on with all the other DIY jobs but I am guessing it is not as simple as that - particularly as I cannot find any mention of such a product.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Did you find any solution for this? I am looking for the exact same thing.

Own a 1947 property where the bitumen has cracked and needs repair. In some places I have removed it, painted liquid dpm and then layed concrete mix on top. Works well but this is not really possible in some places and would be easier to pour some like for like and forget about it!

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back