Asbestos in bitumen under lino in kitchen - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we have recently purchases a house that was built in the 50s and have had an asbestos survey done. The survey has revealed that the bitumen in the kitchen/diner area contains asbestos (Chrysotile)….. please advise on what I should do now.

I really want to pull the grotty lino up but is it better to cover/tile over it somehow or seal it (what with/how?)? The floor between the kitchen and diner is slightly at different levels as the diner just has the concrete and bitumen.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
There's nothing wrong with asbestos, as long as you don't disturb/cut it in order to breath fibres in. If you want to pull it up, just get the appropriate mask for asbestos, double bag it and take it to your appropriate council centre.

You could just self level the entire floor and lay a new floor covering.

To my knowledge, you couldn't introduce asbestos to a property but if you had, say, a bathroom with an asbestos panel, you could unscrew it and reuse it on a different wall. Asbestos is only dangerous is you breathe the fibres in and the fibres are only airborne if you cut or sand it, or if you disturb asbestos that lags pipes etc.. The fibres stay in your lungs and causes problems some 25 years down the line.

if you post a photo of the join where the dining area floor meets the kitchen floor it would help

Sponsored Links
I tiled over ours, is it the dark brown tiles you're on about?.

Ours were soundly bonded to the floor, tile adhesive bonded well to them. Our floor's been down a year and a half now with no issues.

My neighbours had a leak that flooded the floors.

Insurers arranged for contractors, who quickly discovered the same asb tiles. Result, they had to move out for 3 months while the house was stripped!

what alarm mongering is this

what are you doin talking like that about abandoning a house for three months?
the op has only mentioned some claim that the bitumen in the kitchen is contaminated - nothin about any "same asb tiles". the only tiles he mentions are proposed.

bitumen or asphalt was commonly used as a DPM an floor leveller - sometimes still is.
AFAIK thers no asbestos in floorin asphalt itself since 1960's.
asbestos tiles were used into the 1970's they were stuck to the asphalt with various non-asbestos adhesives.

precautions should be taken when removing tile, adhesives or asphalt but its no big deal.
the historic fibres are trapped an dont spread around the house like dry rot.

lucky contractors, come to fix a leak an get three months of insurance work.

Scrape any loose bits off then put ardex NA screeding compound at 4mm over it all.

Where is Vinn the vindictive when you need him . The expert on tarmac flooring :ROFLMAO:

what alarm mongering is this

what are you doin talking like that about abandoning a house for three months?
the op has only mentioned some claim that the bitumen in the kitchen is contaminated - nothin about any "same asb tiles". the only tiles he mentions are proposed.

bitumen or asphalt was commonly used as a DPM an floor leveller - sometimes still is.
AFAIK thers no asbestos in floorin asphalt itself since 1960's.
asbestos tiles were used into the 1970's they were stuck to the asphalt with various non-asbestos adhesives.

precautions should be taken when removing tile, adhesives or asphalt but its no big deal.
the historic fibres are trapped an dont spread around the house like dry rot.

lucky contractors, come to fix a leak an get three months of insurance work.

Different kettle of fish once the likes of an insurance company is part of it. With the blame culture, the insurance company will be belts and braces about it hence the strip out.

I had the same situation;
- I paid for an asbestos removal company to lift up the tiles and dispose correctly
- They sealed the remaining bitumen with PVC (the only other option was to grind the bitumen off = $$$)
- I've now laid Arditex NA which is suitable for laying over bitumen, plus it doesn't require priming (see website)
- I'll lay Duralay Timbermate Excel followed by engineered floor boards

Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back