Asbestos underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've got a 1930's semi detached and am a little concerned as when I lifted a carpet in the bedroom I found this:

Has anyone else seen this hessian backed green stuff before and should I be concerned?

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Suggest you post this in the correct forum section.

Perhaps LOFTS & FLOORING or BUILDING

Sponsored Links
I had that stuff under the carpets in my old flat, it seemed to be there to level out the wonky floorboards. I reckoned it was old hospital linoleum type stuff, as my flat was ex hospital owned.

It IS lino - or linoleum - and it was used in hospitals because it is naturally antiseptic. It's what people could afford before fitted carpets became cheap ( relatively) There might be a tiny tiny amount of asbestos used in the binder of the Linseed Oil and colourant but it's bound into the product. Are Lino cuts banned in school art classes ? It might come to that given the current views on asbestos:notworthy:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back