Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I bought a house last year and have found 2 very heavy discarded pipes in the loft. I concerned they could be cement asbestos.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20160117_084054763.jpg
    IMG_20160117_084054763.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20160117_084012770.jpg
    IMG_20160117_084012770.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
Most likely. Why they're up there I wouldn't hazard to guess.

Are they in the way? As asbestos cement product they're fairly inert, although one of them has been broken so take precautions when moving.

There is an HSE (HSG) document available to inform how to bag and remove if you feel you need to.

Thanks for the reply.

They're not in the way really buy I was concerned as one has been broken. Removal would be an issue as they are ridiculously heavy. I am guessing that is why they weren't removed in the first place!

Property was built in 79 so I am surprised to find them up there.

Yes almost certainly asbestos cement, fact is a broken pipe will shed less fibres than a sawn or drilled one.
My guess would be that like many 1970's properties it had a centrally located warm air unit or boiler that was flued to a ridge terminal, that has been removed.
Just leave it alone, if not disturbed it shouldn't present any real danger. If you are worried you could spray it with diluted pva if you can get it to work in a garden sprayer, that is the recommended way to treat timber left after removal of asbestos soffits to contain any residue. Diluted emulsion would work too but look a bit messy on the fibreglass.

Sponsored Links
I am leaning towards leaving it. The loft is boarded in the middle however and we do store stuff up there. Would it only be dangerous if moved and broken up etc?

Yes they are asbestos cement. Left there following a previous flue removal or renewal.

Left there, they are as much a hazard as that insulation quilt.

You can lift them and remove them in one piece and dispose according to your council's policy. Any fragments put in a bag.

I have done just that. Double bagged them and sealed ready to take to the tip when I can be bothered!

Thanks for all your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back