Asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 5 sheets of asbestos insulation board that I need to remove from my garage ceiling , any ideas how much it will cost , I've been told it's unsafe to remove myself and unsafe to over board it as well .

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
hi there your local waste managment site should help..
when removing spray down and try to keep in complete panels avoid breakages..
any breakages need to be double bagged and tapped up..
remember to wear correct PPE ,Mask , and paper suit should be fine ..bag these when finished, try to do it on a damp calm day..
looked at your location hope i got it right..
try here

https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/dealing-asbestos

hope this helps

just a note , its possible its super lux type material.. has it been tested??

yes it is, there are also different types.. superlux etc is used as a fire retardant in garages . seen alot of it in new build garages..i am assuming when you say ceiling as in your original post its acctually a ceiling and not the roof itself.. (some people get mixed up with these 2) again depends on age of house etc... lots of variables really..
so if not sure then assume it is at alll times ..

Sponsored Links
It's worth checking that your local authority waste disposal site will take AIB - different from asbestos cement boards and higher risk. Most local authority disposal sites only take asbestos cement products (e.g. corrugated roofing sheets)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/a4.pdf

well its noted any building built or refurbished before the year 2000 could contain asbestos material..
it can be in anything . paint, lagging, facias, adhesives etc.
so if not tested then assume it is.

do as i said in the first post and get shut (y)

if in doubt and its lets say unsafe (falling down) then contact the council. enviromental dept.tell them your concerns. i read somewere that they sent a test for someone for cheap.. . no harm in asking.
agree with newboy , but how would the council test for cement conntent if any in corrugated sheet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back