Ashphalt or mineral felt roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was ringing around for a home insurance quote.
One insurer was very difficult about the flat roof type.

Apparently they do not cover one of the above roof types

How can I readily tell the difference between ashalt & mineral felt?

My house was built in the late 60's & as far as I can tell it still has the original roof.

It seems to be a course felt-like material with a covering of shingle stones on.

Any ideas what it is??

Sponsored Links
dec765 said:
How can I readily tell the difference between ashalt & mineral felt?
I only thing I can think of is, the asphalts (bitumen & sand) which is normally on a very flat roof with hardly any fall.

The felt is the most common roofing providing the flat roof have a slope firring type fall and have shingle on top.(some roof have silver paint on top to reflect the sun)

The shingle is to break the rain into a fine mists, protect the felt from the sun and fire resistance.

i would have thought they wanted to know if its green mineral felt coverd finnished with stones[the better quality felt]or the poorer quality black felt
green felt lasts years longer apparenly[says i with a leaky gutter on my black felt roof waiting to have green felt put on :LOL: ]

Sponsored Links
People get mix up with bitumen and asphalts.

Bitumen is a hot pour 100% neat liquid

Asphalts is known as bitumen bulked by sand as you see on road.

This is why I was explaining (well, I wasn't very clear :)) you can have asphalts roof type and that is without roofing felt, quite rare these days.

If you're really interested ;) the real name is PDA (Propane de-asphalts) which change to the name of Bitumen.

I think the insurance company are asking if it has got felt or no felt because of greater fire risk maybe ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back