Asked two roofers about leaks - both had separate opinions (Tenement)

Who is correct?

• Roofer one - skews/haunching needs broken out and redone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roofer two - skews are fine, likely the missing tiles - recommend scaffold first before quoting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I've got a leak in my tenement (third floor, so pretty high up) building in Scotland, and two experienced roofers are in disagreement about where the leak is and in disagreement about the best course of action. I'd love some input from people here if you have time!

1. So, where is the water showing?

After the recent spells of rain we've had, the plaster around the window shown in the image has started to become damp/wet. Damp areas are shown in the images attached at the sides of the top of the window. Wet areas are also present on each side at the bottom of the window, on each side of our window sill.

2. What did Roofer #1 say?

The first roofer to come round was an old chap who popped his head out of the window and took one look at the cement/mortar highlighted in green in the images and said it's your skews. He said the cement hadn't bonded to the slates, and you could see that the bottom of the cement nearest the slates was darker than the rest of it, therefore it was letting water in. He said this needed broken out and redone. There was a similar issue on a second chimney breast, so he quoted for two scaffold towers (third floor) and also said the chimney pots were ready to come down so he'd also recommend these get replaced.

Total quote: £5000

3. What did Roofer #2 say?

Roofer #2 came round and said it wasn't the cement/skews - he said the slate was pushed up tight against the brickwork so water wouldn't be getting in there. He also took a look further back up the roof and said there were tiles missing higher up the roof (I've highlighted the large green circle in the aerial/top down photo) and that was likely the cause as it would stream down the roof to the window. I tried to get a look inside the piece of roof above the window though it was quite difficult to access - there's a pic attached of the bit above the right side of the window and looks possible that there's a wet patch on the corner beam, so that would add up with what he's saying.

Roofer #2 also looked at the chimney pots that Roofer #1 said were "ready to come down" and he said nonsense, "they are solid".

Roofer #2 recommended we contact a scaffolder he knows first - get the scaffold erected, and then he can assess and provide a proper quote. He estimated £3500 for a single scaffold tower, tile replacements and some zinc plating on the ridge.

4. My question

So what do I do with this information? To me, roofer 2 sounds correct. The cement doesn't look very old and roofer 2's logic about the tiles being tight against the blocks made sense. Do I go ahead and get scaffolders to put the tower up once my neighbours approve, or do I need a third roofers opinion?

To make matters worse, we have a shopkeeper in the building on the ground floor who "doesn't have £1000" and is insisting on using his contact who uses a drone and a cherry picker (wtf, cherry picker for a three-story tenement?) for jobs like this - and he's not available until March. Meanwhile, I have to incur any repair costs for damage to my flat. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

signal-2023-12-16-233845.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 23.37.56.png
leak-aerial-photo.png
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 23.29.01.png
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 23.29.20.png
wet-plaster-side-of-window.png
loft-right-side-above-window.png

Sponsored Links
So water is appearing at the top corners of a dormer window, that is part of a wall that has chimneys running up either side of it?

And one roofer is claiming that missing slates on a different roof slope that doesn't have felt fitted, is the cause? Wouldn't be my first guess..

And another roofer is claiming that it's the roof to wall joint at fault? That should have soakers and wouldn't be my first guess either

If excess water went down a chimney pot or down a gap between capping stones/pot base, where would it go... ?

And one roofer is claiming that missing slates on a different roof slope that doesn't have felt fitted, is the cause?
It's not a different roof slope - it's directly up from the window so any water coming in via the missing slates up there would be running down to the window. The picture from inside the loft shows the bit of roof that's directly above the window, and down from the missing slates.

You will need a scaffold regardless.
The chimney head has open joints as can be seen in the pictures.
The mortar around the chimney does not look old ?
I'd guess soakers are zinc and corroded . These are likely in need of replacement to the parapet and chimney a decent flashing would help too .. and if anyone says it can't be done ..it can.

Basically you need further close up inspection

Sponsored Links
You will need a scaffold regardless.
The chimney head has open joints as can be seen in the pictures.
The mortar around the chimney does not look old ?
I'd guess soakers are zinc and corroded . These are likely in need of replacement to the parapet and chimney a decent flashing would help too .. and if anyone says it can't be done ..it can.

Basically you need further close up inspection
Thanks! Yes the mortar to me looks new as well. So the chimney head joints you mention that are open - is that the bits I've highlighted in the pic (called skews by roofer)?

If so, the second roofer said that's not the issue as the slates were pushed up flush against the brickwork so there's enough overlap there to stop any water. Other roofer didn't agree with that though.

Water proofing has nothing to do with pushing the skates tight.
The soakers should deal with that .
I would expect the soakers to have corroded . This can only be checked by removing them .
I'll mark up a picture

Water proofing has nothing to do with pushing the skates tight.
The soakers should deal with that .
I would expect the soakers to have corroded . This can only be checked by removing them .
I'll mark up a picture
Ah right - so the soakers are the lead/zinc under the cement in the pic then? I'd think they'd be fairly new too if the cement looks new.

So in your opinion which roofer sounds like they're talking more sense?

It's not a different roof slope
Must be something wrong with my eyes then cos pic#3, taken from google earth, has green marks on the main part of the roof (the roof that would still exist if the dormers were removed). Water ain't gonna start in that green circle, roll down the roof til it hits a broken slate, then crawl sideways along the underside and all the way along the dormer slope until it can run down the wall with the window in it

Must be something wrong with my eyes then cos pic#3, taken from google earth, has green marks on the main part of the roof (the roof that would still exist if the dormers were removed). Water ain't gonna start in that green circle, roll down the roof til it hits a broken slate, then crawl sideways along the underside and all the way along the dormer slope until it can run down the wall with the window in it
So just going with the logic of what my roofer said - if there's water getting under slates at the green zone I highlighted, that could be running straight down a beam (or multiple beams) and to the dormer. The pic I've shown from inside the loft shows one such beam which follows that line and ends just above the right or the dormer (beam also looks wet at the top). Not saying he's right but just trying to explain the logic and it seems plausible to me.

My worry with all the differing opinions is that I get someone to put a scaffold up - get them to fix the issue they think is the problem, only for the leaks to still be present. Pain in the ass.

You've most likely already done this (as you mention your neighbours approving the works) however if you haven't, check your title deeds to confirm how roof maintenance costs should be divided within the block. At least this ensures everyone pays their share and reduces the financial burden on you, assuming they agree to pay that is! I see you have a shop owner who it appears is trying to get things done on the cheap. Also remember for any neighbours who don't pay, there are legal routes you can go down to recoup costs from them, although you'll obviously be hoping it doesn't come to that.

Roofer 1 is correct by a country mile...No soakers on those skews. Its a Scottish thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back