Asphalt/bitumen floor repair before screeding and fitting amtico

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20200229_193458.jpg
20200229_193437.jpg
20200229_193351.jpg
20200229_193417.jpg

Hi all....this is my first post and hoping to get some advice..
So the attached images are the lounge foor in my 1950's ex council house which I think has a layer of asphalt and bitumen which seems in ok condition apart from around the edges where it is breaking up (from carpet grippers being banged in I think)
I want to have amtico tiles fitted but am not sure about how to repair the cracked edges before screeding?
Could I remove the loose bits of asphalt and fill with concrete Then screed? Should I paint bitumen paint then concrete? Would just screeding fill the cracked asphalt?
Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
Mickey

Sponsored Links
Another solution might just be to ply the lot with 6mm plywood.

On advice from a commercial floorer I've worked with in the past I recently used Ardex P82 water-based epoxy sealant on a floor where I'd previously ripped out a badly worn and damaged parquet floor that had originally been laid onto asphalt over concrete. Where the asphalt had become loose it was brushed up and the hollows vacuumed out first, then the P82 sealant applied. This stuff is pink and very sticky, so once it's down don't walk on it until it has set fully as it marks really easily and transfers to absolutely everything (don't ask how I know...). It also needs to be laid fairly promptly once mixed. Afterwards I used Ardex K15 self levelling compound I initially spread with a metal plastering float to deal with the hollows. I'm pretty sure that F Ball, Bal and Mapei do similar materials. I only went with Ardex because we have a fairly local supplier who happened to have it in stock. Not cheap, though. BTW don't mix suppliers and if you are in any doubt read the spec sheets and consider calling the relevant manufacturer's technical support line

Thanks alot guys for getting back to me... I'll look into the ardex stuff you have mentioned above
Cheers
Mickey

Sponsored Links
Hey how did you get on? Have the same issue in the property we are currently renovating where the studwork has been removed and some of the bitumen has broken off and need to fill.

Paul

Hey how did you get on? Have the same issue in the property we are currently renovating where the studwork has been removed and some of the bitumen has broken off and need to fill.

Paul

Dazlight's post is exactly how the profesional trade would deal with this situation, you can't cut corners with the floor being damaged like that, the liquid DPM treatment is essential.

Hi guys

I ended up leaving it to my floor fitter, and he did do pretty much what dazlight recommended however i cant confirm what brand etc he used sorry.
My flooring has been fitted for nearly 2 years now and have noticed no issues.
All the best

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back