Aspiration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just back from having my regular iron IV top up in hospital - make of this what you will.

This was my third or fourth regular session, and slightly different than the usual method in that it was a syringe injection, straight into a vein, rather than a bag of fluid gradually dripped in. The explanation for the difference being that they had got me to the level I needed with the bulk IV, no it was just a small 'top up' to maintain my level.

Process was a needle into a vein on the inside of my elbow, replaced with a flexible tube or very thin pipe, draw some blood out into the clear tube, flush through with water, then the iron goes in slowly over a couple of minutes manually, via a syringe.

Issue is that my kidneys are not producing enough iron and iron in the blood is what carries the oxygen to the muscles etc. around the body. As my iron levels decline, my stamina disappears.

I am not sure quite how quickly my body should respond to the IV, but the impression I get is that it works almost instantly.

Sponsored Links
Should do.

It's a hormone called EPO (erythropoietin) that is produced by the kidneys that instructs the bone marrow to produce red blood cells using iron in the body.

So fewer red blood cells means a reduced ability for your blood to carry oxygen to the cells, which cannot do as much work, hence you feel fatigued all the time.

Deoxygenated blood comes into the heart and is pumped to the lungs. Oxygenated blood then comes back to the heart and is pumped out through the aorta to the body.

Arteries carry oxygenated blood away from the heart at high pressure and veins carry deoxygenated blood back to the heart at lower pressure.

Deoxygenated blood comes into the heart and is pumped to the lungs. Oxygenated blood then comes back to the heart and is pumped out through the aorta to the body.

Arteries carry oxygenated blood away from the heart at high pressure and veins carry deoxygenated blood back to the heart at lower pressure.
And think of arteries as a normal thick-walled round pipe, whereas veins are more like lay-flat pipes that collapse when there is no pressure. But there are valves in your veins that prevent a back flow.

You can demonstrate this easily on your own arm or hand.
Use your finger to close a vein on your arm or hand, (e.g. if using the back of your hand, close a vein near'ish to your knuckles) with simple pressure, then with your thumb, sweep the blood out of that vein towards your heart, (i.e towards your wrist if using a vein on your hand) for a few centimetres. The vein will collapse until you release the pressure by your finger when the blood will refill the vein and flow normally.

It's easier to demonstrate this if you choose a vein with a few centimetres of unbroken run without junctions. Junctions will obviously complicate the demonstration.

Sponsored Links
Some posts have been removed
Technically Gas's comments were 'sensible' as the discussion was about oxygenation of blood, not where the injection is performed.

Then again he only posted on this thread to make abusive comments and pick on someone over their medical condition. So I'm reporting him.

Thank you.

I didn't see the removed posts.

I was trying to help by explaining how the body works.

I'm sorry this resulted in abuse.

It sounds like your first sessions were infusions, which always makes me think of fruit teabags.

On the plus side, now you're on EPO with a medical exemption, you are eligible to take part in professional cycling.

It sounds like your first sessions were infusions, which always makes me think of fruit teabags.

They did look like a very, very strong brew of tea :) Yesterdays injection was a similar colour, but even thicker it seemed.

On the plus side, now you're on EPO with a medical exemption, you are eligible to take part in professional cycling.

I had to look that up - erythropoetin It's what my kidneys are failing to produce enough of, it is also the illegal performance enhancing drug often used by pro-cyclists :)

I walked in yesterday 50 minutes early, registered my arrival and sat down to wait in the waiting room. I had no sooner sat down than they announced that someone had been in with covid, so everyone was moved out to wait outside the department whilst it was cleaned. I was still called in before my time and attended by the nurse doing the deed, one learning the process and a third just there because of the noise of the laughter from the room. I had the place in stitches.

I was warned at the slightest indication of covid symptoms, I had to go get tested.

I also read somewhere that they are sending out test kits just in case, to everyone with 'certain issues', CKD4 being one of them.

I walked in yesterday 50 minutes early, registered my arrival and sat down to wait in the waiting room. I had no sooner sat down than they announced that someone had been in with covid, so everyone was moved out to wait outside the department whilst it was cleaned. I was still called in before my time and attended by the nurse doing the deed, one learning the process and a third just there because of the noise of the laughter from the room. I had the place in stitches.

I was warned at the slightest indication of covid symptoms, I had to go get tested.

I also read somewhere that they are sending out test kits just in case, to everyone with 'certain issues', CKD4 being one of them.
Yep, they should be with you/us by the 12th. In short it's anyone who has a weakened immune system. That way you can confirm it's Covid as quickly as possible and then get the new pills.

Yep, they should be with you/us by the 12th. In short it's anyone who has a weakened immune system. That way you can confirm it's Covid as quickly as possible and then get the new pills.

Last year, I wasn't sure whether I was, or wasn't supposed to be on the 'specially at risk' list, so I asked at my surgery, they just didn't seem to know.

EPO is well proven performance enhancer that has been used in professional and amateur sport for years. It should remarkably improve the body's ability to deliver oxygen. If you are super fit with a low RHR, you do have to watch your sleep and risk of fainting, but the avg RHR (60+) will be fine.

EPO is well proven performance enhancer that has been used in professional and amateur sport for years. It should remarkably improve the body's ability to deliver oxygen. If you are super fit with a low RHR, you do have to watch your sleep and risk of fainting, but the avg RHR (60+) will be fine.

Thanks.. I am still trying to get my head around things.

When my kidney issues were first diagnosed, I was walking 100 yards to the bus stop and hoping the seat in the shelter was free to collapse onto when I got there. Under treatment that need has gradually gone. Out of curiosity I walked the half mile to Lidl the day before my appointment yesterday, so I could compare how I felt on the same walk after it. It was certainly much better.

I have a too fast RHR, BP is my problem. The start of all this was a far too high BP, I sort of ignored my own health, working and caring for my first partner, as she was so ill for many years, plus a deep seated fear of doctors and hospitals. When she passed away, I then took more interest and realised I had several undiagnosed issues myself, which I had just put down to getting older. Really it was an ongoing list of issues they gradually found I suffered from. They found I'd had a minor stroke in the distant past, I had a narrowed artery to one side of my brain, slight diabetic, then the major kidney issues.

BP is now under control, but it can tend to decline quite suddenly and sharply, leaving me in need to sit or lie down until it returns. I cannot look up, take a hot bath, go in the steaming kitchen, without feeling quite dizzy. My kidney function is low, but they say under control and not getting any worse. None of the issues really causes me much of a problem, so I just get on with life and consider myself lucky.

My partner appears to be fit as a butchers dog, a bit of a whirlwind, but it concerns me that she is very much like I was, in avoiding doctors and hospitals. I managed to persuade her to have the covid jams, though she would claim I bullied her into it. Even more worrying, she avoids any of the optional checks saying they are pointless - when her times comes to die, it will come, why worry...

Kidney problems will leave you feeling wiped out and tired.

Sponsored Links
Back