asrta windscreen mist problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
in damp/rain and cold conditions my front windscreen mists up and there is a build up of condensation can anyone help.
regards

Sponsored Links
Happens in most cars with the right conditions. Make sure that you haven't got the heater on recirculate. Open the windows slightly to allow in fresh air, same as you would in the house. If this fails then stop breathing. :LOL:

Best way to demist is to turn heater to full, fan to full (or one step below full) and if you have it, air conditiong on.

Windows will demist far quicker if kept really clean on the inside. If someone else drives the car who gets in and starts wiping the mist off with the back of her... I mean their... glove, then tell them to stop it.

Sponsored Links
Although an interesting thing happens with my car, which is also an Astra (mk4). In summer, on a really humid day, when I turn it on after leaving it parked for a short time I get a little mist on the very bottom of the windscreen. This is presumably due to condensed water in the ac evaporating when the engine is turned back on. But the weird thing is, that mist makes that bit of glass appear green! Probably due to the coatings on the glass, but it looks pretty strange.

breezer said:
turn the fan on?
lol :LOL: sorry forgot to share with you that i have already tried that,condensation is that bad that water is dripping from windscreen DESPITE THE FAN BLOWING,WINDOW OPENING AND ME HAVING TO STOP BREATHING! THANKS FOR REPLIES GUYS BUT IT'S NOT THE ANSWER

If you have that much moisture,it sounds much more like it is caused by a leak - i.e. seal around windscreen (or is windscreen cracked?)
Or the heater is leaking,and blowing moisture-laden air onto the screen.

Leaky heater should cause an odour of anti-freeze (assuming your cooling system has some - which I hope it has at this time of year)
Also check water level on engine to see if you can eliminate this as a possible cause.

check your footwells to see if they are wet, as has been said sounds like water getting in somewhere, check underbonnet make sure the drains from the bulkhead are free from leaves and things

Think most points covered so far in the replies, I also have an Astra, and although, I could say that during wet days when I'm out delivering, it hasnt got the best de-misting system, I've not had major problems with in, and never any problems when starting off in the morning.

1, Make sure you've not got any water leaks in the car, cause as soon as you get in, it'll start misting up

2, make sure the windsreen and windows are super clean on the inside, possibly try one of the 'ant-mist' products from the car accessories shop

3, try not to wipe the mist off, as you'll likely be adding allsorts onto the glass, that'l make it mist even more next time

4, turn off the re-circulate switch, hit de-mist, and close all of the dash air vents while the windscreen de-mist (then turn on the side vents and direct at the side windows

If you've got no water leaks in the car, your windows are clean, and the vent that points at the windscreen isnt blocked, then you can't have any problems !

P.S - I'll share with you a little nightmare I once had, regarding a misting windscreen. I used to do a little car valeting, and did the bosses Lexus, all the windows were perfectly polished and clean inside and out. We had to go on a business trip the same day. I was to drive, now this car had one of those computer heating systems, with a few too many buttons and modes, we'd been going for about 10 minutes and were on a 50mph road, when the window suddenly started to mist from the bottom, I glanced at the heater controls for a couple of seconds, and made my selection...within the next 5 or six seconds the mist rose to cover the whole of the inside of the window, reducing visability to absolute zero. I could not even see where the road was, and I was still doing at least 45mph. I had no option to guess where to steer and hit the brakes. Shortly after pulling up, the window cleared and we were on our way. It was one of the most scary driving experiences of my life !

Paul

neilski said:
hi,
in damp/rain and cold conditions my front windscreen mists up and there is a build up of condensation can anyone help.
regards
I have same problem, according to windscreen repair company it is due to a clogged pollen filter. This is under plastic cover below windscreen wipers. Costs up to £9.

The inside of all my windows were wet through for ages today in the heavy rain. The car (Astra estate)is only 9 months old so I can't see it being any filters or leaks etc. I reckon they have poor ventilation or something.

carpetpaul said:
I'll share with you a little nightmare I once had

I did exactly the same with a Xantia with aircon.....Ohhhh Sihtttttttttttt!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Back