Assault

Don't disagree with the above. I've played a lot of rugby and probably been involved in one or two scuffles myself so I wouldn't want anybody to get carried away with prosecuting sports people for minor altercations. But this struck me because of the recent Clarkson furore and also the fact that it was a head butt, which does carry more intent than a push or a punch. It seems to me it is all down to how the press decide to report it. If they decide you will be hauled over the front pages and demanding sackings and prosecutions the reaction is different to when they aren't that bothered.

Sponsored Links
Don't disagree with the above. I've played a lot of rugby and probably been involved in one or two scuffles myself so I wouldn't want anybody to get carried away with prosecuting sports people for minor altercations. But this struck me because of the recent Clarkson furore and also the fact that it was a head butt, which does carry more intent than a push or a punch. It seems to me it is all down to how the press decide to report it. If they decide you will be hauled over the front pages and demanding sackings and prosecutions the reaction is different to when they aren't that bothered.

Also office work isn't generally signed up to as a contact sport, so I don't know how the two are compared in this context.

In sports there is a general self policing consensus over where the line is drawn.
To stretch it, do we prosecute a boxer for killing someone with a blow to the head in the ring?

Also office work isn't generally signed up to as a contact sport, so I don't know how the two are compared in this context.

In sports there is a general self policing consensus over where the line is drawn.
To stretch it, do we prosecute a boxer for killing someone with a blow to the head in the ring?
I think the self policing extends to a bit of pushing and punching - what I'd call handbags. Personally I find head butting particularly cowardly, and potentially more damaging. When somebody shapes up for a punch you can take evasive. Not so easy with a head butt. The boxing is a good question, although they do know why they are there. Nobody starts a game of football thinking they are going to get a head butt at some point.

I think the self policing extends to a bit of pushing and punching - what I'd call handbags. Personally I find head butting particularly cowardly, and potentially more damaging. When somebody shapes up for a punch you can take evasive. Not so easy with a head butt. The boxing is a good question, although they do know why they are there. Nobody starts a game of football thinking they are going to get a head butt at some point.

Agreed - in boxing, getting hit on the head is to be expected. A rabbit punch less so, or below the belt.

Headbutting and spitting (revulsion not harm) are beyond the pale in football.

In Rugby Union. gouging and stamping on heads or a cheap shot with the knee.

In cricket, calling someone a particularly hurtful name.

Sponsored Links

:LOL: :LOL:

Interesting how the head-butted player didn't fall to the floor and roll around like a dying swan for five minutes - maybe football really isn't a man's game after all! :mrgreen: :LOL:

Good point. When they score a goal, do women players skip and prance around and kiss each other?

:LOL: :LOL:

Interesting how the head-butted player didn't fall to the floor and roll around like a dying swan for five minutes - maybe football really isn't a man's game after all! :mrgreen: :LOL:

Good point. When they score a goal, do women players skip and prance around and kiss each other?

No, I don't think they emulate male footballers at all. :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back