assignment question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...Yes it's another assignment question, sorry.... If you can HELP I would appriciate:
214M 3 core SWA linked to 11 car park lamps each at 150W SON. 4 lamps on 2 of the phases and 3 on the 3rd. What size SWA do I need. What protective device? What is the Vd. Are there any correction factors for this? Cable is to be buried in trench.
Cheers
Alex

Sponsored Links
...err, yes, of course, ... 4-core is required. (cable selection was part of the question too)(Don't worry, i never plan to design and install car-park lights). ...Thanks.

Are all the lamps at the far end of the cable? Don't forget to correct for discharge lighting.

Sponsored Links
This is what I got:

TYPE OF CABLE
Design current (per phase) Ib 4x150/230=2.6A
Correction for discharge lighting: x1.8 2.6*1.8=4.68 Amps
Fuse protection: 6A BS EN60898
Other Correction factors: not applicable
Therefore In=6A
Installation method 1
So, cable is 4-core Thermoplastic insulated SWA 6mm - can carry 45 Amps but needs to be 6mm to achieve volt drop <4%.
Volt drop is 25mv/A/m
Vd=(214 x 2.6 x 25) / 1000 equals 6.41 Amps

Lights are distributed across 3 phases so 2 phases with 4x150W, 1 with 3x150W, they are placed 15m apart aprox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back