Astra 1.7 cdti starting problem (Poss starting motor)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi its me again with my astra problems. Drove my van to work this lunch time no probs, got back in 2 hours later to find it would not turn over. I turn the ignition on no probs, everything lights up. Turn the key to start and nothing turns. I am getting no noise at all not even the click that you get from a starting motor sometimes. Checked fuses etc all ok both under the bonnet and inside the fuse box. The van bump starts ok and drives fine any suggestions please.
Regards Rob

Sponsored Links
first try to bump it
Not a bad job to remove believe its 4 bolt in total.
I took mine to a local place that tested it and confirmed it
Make sure the power is getting to it first

Thanks for such a quick reply, where is the startor motor located on the astra 1.7 cdti please. I have heard (poss only rumour) that you can sometimes tap it with a hammer and this may fix it. Dont mean to sound stupid but wouldnt be the first time I have. Thanks

yes a tap with a hammer does work sometimes but on the Cdti engine give up lol.
So tight down there it is the rear of the block on the passenger side.
to even get to it you need to at least get a wheel on the curb

Sponsored Links
Ok makes sense I will have a look tomoro day and try get it off and get it checked. By what you say it seems a fiddly but doable job for a beginer like myself. Thanks again Stuart you have been a great help.
Cheers

Astra H?? 2004 - 2009?

It could be the starter, when the fault occurs you need to check if the starter solenoid wire is giving out a 12V feed, if it is and nothing is happening then its very likely to be the starter, if there is no feed when the key is turned (& its an Astra H) then it could be the control module located behind the steering wheel, this is part of the immobiliser system and sometimes fails.

Back