Astra van again with more probs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got another astra van (sucker for punishment) this time a 1.7 TD Mk3, all was ok yesterday started ok etc, maybe a little slow to start. Tried this morning and it is turning over and smoke comes out the exhaust but it wont start ? Help again please I gotta have some luck some time surely.
Cheers Rob

Sponsored Links
Start by checking the glowplugs over, Rob - each one should have a resistance of between 1 to 2 ohms, and they should have 12v reaching them when the preheat light is on.
After that, its a fuel system check.
John :)

if its slow to crank, you need to give it a boost with some (decent) jump leads.

those diesel lumps need to spin over fast to start.

or push start it down a hill, or tow.

Thanks for the replys did the checks on the glow plugs, put new ones in and a new battery, no joy. Had a mechanic look for me and the fault was one of the main fuses had blown replaced that and hey presto Rob is a happy bunny again. Not having a great deal of luck with my vans at the moment but thanks to help and advice from you guys things are getting better. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am keeping a brave face on this but help AGAIN please. My astra 1.7td is starting again now but will only fire up after 3 turns of the key (ie pre ignition sequence glow plug symbol goes out 3 times) any ideas or things to check please I dont wanna loose another one to that big mechanic in the sky. I have put new glow plugs in, a new battery and there is plenty of current being generated from the alternator (thats what my friend said anyway) the mechanic that i had look at it before checked a few things and said all was ok but wasnt aware of the 3 times malarky. Thank you

It is possible that new or even cheap new glow plugs can fail, even one failing can cause problems.

Does it only do this from cold?

Thanks for the replys did the checks on the glow plugs, put new ones in and a new battery, no joy. Had a mechanic look for me and the fault was one of the main fuses had blown replaced that
I had one of those vans and I kinda remember an issue with the Glow Plug Relay - unfortunately I wasn`t doing my own repairs @ the time - now if it was a Morris minor/1100 or a Ford Anglia or Hillman Imp ;) Hope this points you in the right direction ( of the glow plug relay ) - you haven`t wasted your money on the new battery and plugs , not with the winter coming

Back