Astra Airbag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there. Wondering if anyone can help me.

The missus wants the passenger airbag disabled in our Astra Estate 1.6LS 1997 so she can put the baby seat in the front.

Would it be possible for an averagely experienced mechanical person to do this or should I take it to the garage for a professional to do?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Do you not have a switch where you just turn it off? Mine is in the door pillar to turn it off unless this is a new improvement.

NO,NO.NO. Never put a babys seat in the front of a car. Far better to be put in the rear. Just ask the experts they will tell you the same.
I know people think you can keep an eye if the babys in the front, but it can lead to a distraction.

If I recall the passenger airbag can be disabled in my Astra (2001) by turning a small recessed knob with the key. This is located in the passenger door, I think.

The handbook of your car will say if you have a similar way of disabling the airbag. DIY disablement is a VERY bad idea. You might affect the drivers' airbag too, and you can't be certain you have disabled the passenger one anyway. Not to mention you are dealing with explosives here. Not enough to kill you but certainly enough to give you nasty burns and reduce the number of fingers you have.

Plus as Quick points out, it is much better to have the baby out of reach to avoid the distraction, the instinct to tend to a crying infant will often overcome common sense and good judgement. On a few occasions I have seen a car partially on my side of the road, then realised the driver is a woman tending to a baby. The distracted mother might survive a head-on collision, but the baby probably wouldn't...

If the baby is in the back, the driver has to pull over and stop before being able to do anything. Much safer for the baby and everyone around.

Sponsored Links
Quick Fit said:
NO,NO.NO. Never put a babys seat in the front of a car. Far better to be put in the rear. Just ask the experts they will tell you the same.
I know people think you can keep an eye if the babys in the front, but it can lead to a distraction.

Exactly what i said to the missus but to no avail. She's not brought the subject up for a while so will leave disabling it for now.

Pretty sure there is no switch for turning airbag on/off but will have a closer look in handbook.

Thanks for your help everybody.

iagree with no baby seat in front seat.

put it this way.

car crash seatbelt moves before "locking" seat comes out (now a projectile, it will go strait through windscreen, not good.

same scenario, but baby seat in back, hits chair in front, stays in car

you choose

Back