Astra clutch/gears

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my 2010 Astra clutch seems to stick a bit when being released and at times I can't change gear without fully releasing the clutch first. Seems to be more in lower gears. Any ideas? Does it sound expensive?? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think you need to have the clutch master cylinder checked over, but I'm a bit confused when you say you can't change gear without releasing the clutch first.....could you elaborate please?
John :)

Hi, thank you. So the clutch will be down and i try to change gear but can't so i have to release the clutch and then put it down again to be able to change gear, hope that makes sense!!

Yes it does, and thanks for the explanation!
To me, it seems like the clutch is not disengaging fully, due to a fault in the master cylinder. Pressing the clutch pedal twice is just helping things along. Anyway - are you losing any clutch hydraulic fluid at all?
Certainly, the master cylinder is relatively easy to replace and cheap enough, but if its not that, the gearbox has to come out of the car for further examination of the clutch.
Has the car a huge mileage?

Sponsored Links
I've not noticed any fluid, would it be obvious if it was?? I'm really not techincal! Mileage is 59,500. Like the idea of the first problem but have heard things to do with gearboxes can be expensive.....

Any leaking fluid would be in the front engine, nearside area and it should be obvious......maybe a better test is to see if the fluid level in the reservoir has fallen.
Your mileage isn't excessive of course so hopefully it will be a master cylinder fault. Why not pop over to a local independent garage, and see what they say, if you don't fancy a trip to Vauxhall?

Will do john, we have a brilliant local garage, really appreciate your help, cheers!!

does sound like your clutch master cylinder but if there is no leaks then maybe there is air in the system

Sponsored Links
Back