Bora 1.9 TDI gears cruching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
'99 reg

My sister phoned me to tell me she can't get any gears.

The clutch pedal seems fine but all gears are crunching.

The dual mass clutch failed several years ago and because of cost, she had a clutch conversion kit installed.

Are there any adjustments possible on the Bora TDI clutch ?

Sponsored Links
I've noticed my misspelling of crunching - have missed the 'n' out.

How do I edit that ?

The most likely problem is that the clutch is not disengaging properly, if its a recent clutch its unlikely to have failed although its possible. The first thing to check is whether the clutch mechanism is at fault. Get someone to operate the clutch while you look at the operating lever on the clutch housing.

Peter

Sadly, its a hydraulic clutch so and the slave push rod is inside the bell housing do can't be seen.

I've tried starting the engine in gear, clutch pedal down but the car lurches forward when the engine is cranked so the clutch isn't disengaging.

Thought perhaps a bit of friction plate might have broken of and jamed between the plates so I reved the engine and kept dipping the clutch but not joy.

Sponsored Links
What does the clutch pedal feel like - is it 'normal', i.e with a fair bit of pressure needed to depress it?
John :)

Yes the clutch feels as usual.

You can see the pipe on the slave cylinder flexing when the pedal is pressed but touching the slave cylinder, I can't feel any movement.

Just for a kick off.....have you bled the slave cylinder? It seems that the master cylinder is OK. Is there any evidence of lost fluid?
Try unbolting the slave cylinder and see how much movement there is?

I'm inclined to agree with bleeding but its now to dark to do anything.

Where's the clutch reservoir ?
What dot fluid should I use ?

The clutch, if it doesn't have its own reservoir, shares with the brake master cylinder.
DOT 4 fluid is what you need.

Thanks Burnerman

Will give the slave cylinder some attention tomorrow.

Can't see a clutch reservoir to perhaps shared with brakes.

If the slave has leaked internally, does that mean there may be fluid on the frictions plates ?

Its possible but that would make it slip rather than not disengage and its quite likely to burn off once you get it working.

Peter

Got word back from my sister today.

The Bora went into a garage owned by a family friend.

It seems that the clutch was full of water and causing the clutch to drag.

Not something I've heard of before. The under engine cover has been missing since the new clutch was installed several years ago. The garage that did the clutch claimed they couldn't get to fit it back on.

Normally drain places at bottom of bell housing which would prevent this from happening.

Would I be right in thinking that the clutch friction plates will swell slightly if in contact with water ?

If swollen, that would cause drag. Apparently reverse is still a bit crunchy but a but heat from driving should drive any dampness out.

I've told my sister to hold on the clutch a few times at junctions to try and smooth the plates a bit.

The clutch will be as rusty as hell now - particularly the splined gearbox input shaft, that the friction plate slides on.
As for not being able to refit the undertray - absolute cobblers. They forgot to fit it, and it was chucked out with the garbage, more likely!

Sponsored Links
Back